Omicron. A blessing in disguise?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

One can care about this stuff (ie be careful) without panicking (in the same way I do up my seatbelt in the car... doesn't mean I'm scared of having a crash when I drive off, I'm just being careful).

Don't forget your crash helmet.LOL

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Don't forget your crash helmet.LOL

I was talking about the car not the motorbike... but I do wear a helmet on the motorbike (the police in CDO will stop and fine you if you don't).

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I was talking about the car not the motorbike... but I do wear a helmet on the motorbike (the police in CDO will stop and fine you if you don't).

I know :Policeman:I was looking at your profile photo when I posted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Any one over 60 (healthy or not) should still be concerned in my opinion... even if Omicron is less dangerous than Delta (and we really don't have proof that it is) then it's still going to be more dangerous than seasonal flu.

You contradict yourself in the same sentence. You state there is no proof then assert that it's still going to be more dangerous than seasonal flu.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, earthdome said:

You contradict yourself in the same sentence. You state there is no proof then assert that it's still going to be more dangerous than seasonal flu.

I used “even if” as a conditional clause referring to whether or not it was less dangerous than Delta… not if it was more dangerous than the flu.

There is some preliminary data indicating some reduction in severity… that might be as much as an order of magnitude (if it is proven to exist).

There is no evidence of a reduction of 2 orders of magnitude (which is what it would take for it to be no more severe than the flu).

So not a contradiction… just a cut down explanation relating to the math.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I used “even if” as a conditional clause referring to whether or not it was less dangerous than Delta… not if it was more dangerous than the flu.

There is some preliminary data indicating some reduction in severity… that might be as much as an order of magnitude (if it is proven to exist).

There is no evidence of a reduction of 2 orders of magnitude (which is what it would take for it to be no more severe than the flu).

So not a contradiction… just a cut down explanation relating to the math.

Just keep moving those goal posts. :tongue:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, earthdome said:

Just keep moving those goal posts. :tongue:

That’s how science works you know…

earthdome
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

That’s how science works you know…

No, science is about hypothesizing then developing tests to prove/disprove them. If proven, being subject to additional testing which may disprove or modify the original hypothesis.

moving the goal posts is "To alter the rules or parameters of a situation in such a way as to suit one's needs or objectives, making it more difficult for someone else to succeed, keep pace, or achieve an opposing objective."

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

temp1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2