Contraception

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

So would I be correct in saying that it is only the well educated girls that have brains do not get babied up as teenagers?

Not just well educated, well brought up also. My partner's family are a good example.  Four sisters and not one kid out of marriage, one sister lost her virginity early 40's my partner at 26yrs old. Her younger sister at 19yrs old has never had a boyfriend.

The other end of the scope I know many with kids at a young age and about four have kids from multiple partners.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Not just well educated, well brought up also.

Agree completely.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

So would I be correct in saying that it is only the well educated girls that have brains do not get babied up as teenagers?

I wonder if the boys should be educated as well as from memory it takes two to get pregnant. :tiphat:

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Another possibility is some families don't mind the large number of children.  This is a throwback to an agriculture era when help was need for planting and harvesting.  Without a strong social security or financial safety network, parents have the mistaken belief that one or more of their children will take care of them in their old age.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

This is a throwback to an agriculture era when help was need for planting and harvesting.

Well, if that is the case, I wish the parents would keep them on the farm, and not holding open the door of the 7-11 shaking a coin jar. I might be old, but I can still open a door by myself :hystery:

are you serious.jpg

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Another possibility is some families don't mind the large number of children.  This is a throwback to an agriculture era when help was need for planting and harvesting.  Without a strong social security or financial safety network, parents have the mistaken belief that one or more of their children will take care of them in their old age.

Not always mistaken.  Most of the societies that widely adopted contraception now have labor shortages when it comes to taking care of older people.  Many Philippine families have one or more kids who went away to work in other countries.  Most of those support their parents financially.  If the Philippines adopts contraception in a wide way, they will lose one of their major resources, OFWs.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Many Philippine families have one or more kids who went away to work in other countries.

Interesting point Dave. Lets explore it a bit if we may. I submit that the OFW's do not come from the ranks of the street urchins that continually stream out of squatter settlements (oops sorry, Informal settlers I meant to say :whistling:.) We must remember that it actually takes some resources to work overseas, (unless they get involved with a trafficker) They need a passport and a visa. As a catch 22 a lot of OFWs are female domestic helpers, and from the stories I have seen, a lot of them are single mothers themselves. Many are college or trade school graduates.

I remember during the war, most of the service workers on our bases were from the Philippines, laundry service, barbershops, PX staff things like that. (it was funny but for some reason all the workers in the dining facility were from Pakistan :whatever:)

But they were all pretty proficient in English. 

Here is an interesting article I found.

OFWs: Who they are, where they work, and what they do | Philstar.com

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 2

KC813
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Yes, that is one of the several reasons some people may still wish for a large family.  

Yet, I doubt few people were thinking “I need a big family” when engaged in the act that produced their future heir.  As I recall, there was often some other motivation...

• Haha 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, KC813 said:

As I recall, there was often some other motivation...

Yeah I put it all down to brown out's, nothing else. :Count_Sheep:

• Haha 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, scott h said:

Interesting point Dave. Lets explore it a bit if we may. I submit that the OFW's do not come from the ranks of the street urchins that continually stream out of squatter settlements (oops sorry, Informal settlers I meant to say :whistling:.) We must remember that it actually takes some resources to work overseas, (unless they get involved with a trafficker) They need a passport and a visa. As a catch 22 a lot of OFWs are female domestic helpers, and from the stories I have seen, a lot of them are single mothers themselves. Many are college or trade school graduates.

I remember during the war, most of the service workers on our bases were from the Philippines, laundry service, barbershops, PX staff things like that. (it was funny but for some reason all the workers in the dining facility were from Pakistan :whatever:)

But they were all pretty proficient in English. 

Here is an interesting article I found.

OFWs: Who they are, where they work, and what they do | Philstar.com

Interesting that in our quest for a maid out in the province many of our applicants knock back the position because they want to go to Manila to work, for better money all be it for a few thousand more, when we attempt to entice them wit a couple of thousand more after they have proved themselves the reply is “I will have to ask my husband”. Never to be heard from again. So what he derive from this is that the husbands are more than willing for their spouses to go to Manila to work while they stay home and look after the children, yeah right.

An the last few applicants are from the Urban Poor settlement where we live.

As I have mentioned in other posts the husbands don’t want the wives to work as “maids”, so we changed the title to domestic help, still no takers.