Transfer money from Australia

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I have in the past sung praise about World Remit, I take it all back!

With no warning or advice to me they have divorced the bank  I am with in Australia.

So I am looking for another organisation to send money to the Philippines from Australia, with minimum fees.

Any recommendations please folks?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Onemore52 said:

With no warning or advice to me they have divorced the bank  I am with in Australia.

Which bank? Why not just open an account at another bank and use that for sending? 

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Any recommendations please folks?

I use wise, use to be Transfer wise. Depending how much you send the bigger the fees. I sent 1000 GBP and the fee was 5 GBP. Still a rip off but the rates are good.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Which bank? Why not just open an account at another bank and use that for sending? 

Not as simple as that, It's not worldremitt, it's the bloody banks, there running scared because the royal commission got stuck into them about overseas money being freely transferred. My bank, the ANZ has implemented a system where they SMS you a code of numbers and you have to put them into your worldremitt transaction when prompted. Before it was challenged question's when doing internet banking. A bloke could transfer money while overseas using challenge questions, now because it's SMS no phone coverage while overseas. All is not lost, there is, I hope a loop hole but I have to wait until after Christmas to implement it.

As for pensioners get onto centerlink they can put it into an bank account once a month, I wont go into the dramas, but it can be done, even if you haven't got a bank account in your name. DVA is the same but a lot more security around it at the moment. :cheersty:

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Clermont, thanks for the explanation of things, I am dark on WorldRemit for not at least giving me a heads up on what is happening, no problem one less customer to worry about.

I got onto Remitly no problems and their rate was better.

cheers

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

I got onto Remitly no problems and their rate was better.

cheers

How did Remity get around the SMS code as it's a bank requirement, the SMS has nothing to do with WorldRemit and now I see WorldRemit has stopped accepting POLI transfers from Westpac. Of coarse you can still transfer money inhouse at a bank but at a  low exchange rate and a high transfer fee. If your transferring Tens of thousands there are sites around but for the average Joe blow, we're screwed. :whatever:

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

I called Westpac and the staff were non the wiser, makes sense that Westpac withdrawing from Poli was made higher on up the food chain, I spent hours attempting to set up Apple Pay and the digital wallet thing which I was able to use with Remitly, which I think maybe satisfies the banking industry code of conduct, I am only guessing.

The odd thing about the digital wallet is that it only can be used with specific cards, not like Poli where you can access all of your accounts, by the way I did have to call the bank a few times for them to assist me, as in the words of one of the consultants “you need a 15 year old with you when your trying to do these things” even she has trouble with it and has lots of cheat sheets to help her.

I did entertain the thought of opening an account with another bank but quickly dismissed that as being too hard, just as well because they will all probably go the same way.
As long as I stay away from Western Union.

Remitly gave me a better exchange rate than WorldRemit so it might be a blessing but to spend a whole day setting this up is deserving of some alcohol at the finish.

Thanks for your input, no doubt more hurdles to follow.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I keep an Australia SIM active in my spare phone when I'm in the philippines, it doesn't cost anything to receive a text message overseas, only costs if you call or txt out and Australia has SIM only plans as low as $10 per month.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Clermont said:

I see WorldRemit has stopped accepting POLI transfers from Westpac. Of coarse you can still transfer money inhouse at a bank but at a  low exchange rate and a high transfer fee. If your transferring Tens of thousands there are sites around but for the average Joe blow, we're screwed

Do you guys use the worldremit app or online site? Been awhile since I have transferred money but I could do it from here and from memory there's no code or questions when using the app.

As for tens of thousands, as far as I know 10k is the limit with worldremit anyway.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Mate I tried to use both the app and the full website, same results with both. Good riddance.

• Like 1