Airfares

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

It's one of the few times I'm glad I'm a short arse (5'7") but I normally pay for the emergency exit seat option if possible.  Leg room aside, you don't have people climbing over you or have to climb over anyone.  

Brett, I did not know you could now pay for those seats!

Not surprised though. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I had a shock when looking at flights to the usual visa run locations from the Philippines. My 3yrs is up tomorrow and although I'm doing a motion of consideration I aimed off and looked a flights out of curiosity incase they say I have to leave.  It's cheaper to fly to Scotland return than to some of the nearby locations. Many airlines are also not showing any flights.

Trust you have your ECC....

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Brett, I did not know you could now pay for those seats!

Not surprised though. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Almost all airlines are charging for the "premium" seats.  PAL charges extra for an aisle seat.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, RBM said:

Trust you have your ECC....

I'm hoping not to need it as I get my result of the motion of consideration about the 16th of February and an appointment with the BI on the 22nd. Worst case I'll file one on the 22nd. 

Baluoyolo
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

PAL charges extra for an aisle seat.

Oh, that might explain why my "free seat selection" refused to save my seat if I picked an aisle seat last time!

• Haha 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted
On 2/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, Old55 said:

I'm also tall with back problems can defiantly sympathize with you. 

You may politely ask at the ticket counter to be moved to a door seat. They choose tall single male passengers to be at the emergency exit doors. I've had great luck with this. One tip is to be early at the check in to ask.

"They choose tall single male" but thats not always true. I asked the check in clerk for an exit door seat. Im 6ft6 and she said,,sorry sir, no vacancy. I get on the flight and as I walked by the exit door seats..I see a female next to the exit door!!! Of course I was annoyed but I held my tongue.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, russellmania said:

"They choose tall single male" but thats not always true. I asked the check in clerk for an exit door seat. Im 6ft6 and she said,,sorry sir, no vacancy. I get on the flight and as I walked by the exit door seats..I see a female next to the exit door!!! Of course I was annoyed but I held my tongue.

What airline was that? Not that it matters. I should have said "in my experience".

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/3/2022 at 11:49 AM, OnMyWay said:

Almost all airlines are charging for the "premium" seats.  PAL charges extra for an aisle seat.

That is the case (or at least used to be), I had a... spirited debate lets call it on one trip with PAL.

I had paid extra on my booking for a selected isle seat and my ticket showed my seat number on the trip out of Australia to Manila.  A loud and very self important Filipino man starts harrassing the cabin crew ( he was tall for a filipino and dressed in long black pants and a white shirt ) saying they should give him an aisle seat.

Next minute a diminutive hostess appears next to me and says sir "you have to move"... I look surprised, then after thinking about it for a couple of seconds look up and down the aisle and of course I was the only foreigner sitting in an aisle seat.

The loud pinoy is staring daggers at me and standing a couple of meters away clearly waiting for me to move.

I politely and without raising my voice showed my ticket and the copy of my paper booking showing where I had paid extra for a seat selection including the aisle surchange and said "I am happy to move, what aisle seat do I move to?".

The girl dropped her head and said "sorry Sir, no aisle seats available"... so I said "I will need a receipt to give to the airline counter (callled her by name this time off her badge) to claim back the aisle seat payment at Manila" and she said "Sorry sir, I can't give that...".

Then the guy in the aisle butts in loudly and says "This is the Philipines we get priority not foreigners" and I (still without raising my voice) said "are you offering to pay for the seat cost difference direct to me?".  He looks disgusted and orders the girl to move me.

The girl says "Sorry Sir, you have to move" and I (who was trying not to get annoyed but never the less was starting to) said "Are you ordering me, as a crew member, that you (name) are requiring me to exit this seat that I paid extra for?" and she said "No Sir".  

Then a male crew member appears and asks what is the problem, I showed him my reservation and ticket and gave a brief repeat of the conversation so far.  I said fine (name) but I will be seeking a refund at Manila Airport, he looks annoyed and says "You have to move now Sir!" so I said "Ok!  My walking stick is in the cabin locker above me, that's why I paid for an aisle seat you know.. because I can't get out of a window seat without assistance"

But... after that the guy looks shocked and says "Are you a PWD?" and whilst I don't think of myself that way I do use a stick for longer walks due to a leg injury and I said "Yes, can you hand me my stick".

He looks at the guy in the aisle (whom the entire area is now staring at) and says "Sorry Sir, you don't have to move".

I thanked him and said sorry for the disruption and the loud guy in the aisle slunk off somewhere down the plane.

That was actually the last time I flew with PAL.

NB I wouldn't generally suggest standing 'on your rights' in the Philippines but being a flight in international airspace where no one would be armed I felt on somewhat firmer ground.  Never the less I've used other carriers since then and not encountered  any more 'super entitled' Filipinos.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sorry you had to endure this experience Geoff and good for you standing your ground in a respectful manner like that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1