Travel insurance now required

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I'm registered on my wife's phil account as a dependent before 2016, so it's free for me.:thumbsup: She just pays 3,700 P for both of us:dance:

Yes, I have the same.  We just paid for the year a few weeks ago and it was p3600 and covers our family of 5.

However, Philhealth does not cover visitors and never will.  Can you imagine the bureaucracy they would have to create to add travel insurance!!!  Leave it to the private sector, especially relatives of the politicians. :smile:  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

USA Assist was the company I used for our trip to the U.S.  I just looked at their website out of curiosity.  For a U.S. resident travelling to other countries, they say they cover all countries.  I'm sure there are a few caveats to that.  I put in one traveler, medical only, for 30 days, 63 yo, and it was USD 57 for $50000.  That is the cheapest.

Screenshot (583).png

Screenshot (584).png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

With the US government upping the travel risk to the Philippines to level 4 which is basically don't travel, triple check if your insurance will cover you if an American.  https://ph.usembassy.gov/health-alert-increase-in-travel-advisory-to-level-4-do-not-travel/

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Snowy79 said:

With the US government upping the travel risk to the Philippines to level 4 which is basically don't travel, triple check if your insurance will cover you if an American.  https://ph.usembassy.gov/health-alert-increase-in-travel-advisory-to-level-4-do-not-travel/

Yes, I forgot to mention that.  For security reasons, your normal travel insurance is null and void in certain areas of Mindanao.  Not sure how that works with Medical Only and Covid coverage.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I forgot to mention that.  For security reasons, your normal travel insurance is null and void in certain areas of Mindanao.  Not sure how that works with Medical Only and Covid coverage.

The western side (and part of the middle) of Mindanao has been a red zone "Do Not Travel" for a long time and none of the Travel Insurances I have bought (over 8 trips) has ever covered me while I'm there. 

We don't live in the red zone (it's a long car trip away) so it's never bothered me personally (short trips to Ozamiz to visit family members excepted) and given the medical care available there I'd rather be taken back to Illigan City or CDO if at all possible.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted

My plans might also include a trip to Thailand plus I wanted coverage in case of a cancellation due to Covid. I got a policy for 100k thru the World Nomads web site (you can get a quick quote there too). Coverage for my plan is for both the Philippines and Thailand for a 4 month stay. It includes trip cancelation, medical evacuation, baggage loss and so on. Total cost for their “Cadillac” plan for the 4 month term was just under 500 USD. I didn’t think that was unreasonable considering all it covers  

Of course it’s probably not accepted at any hospitals here in the Phils and I’d have to pay cash / credit card and then submit the receipts for reimbursement. 

I’m not associated with nor do I receive any commissions or benefits from World Nomads or their underwriter. 

https://www.worldnomads.com/?__cf_chl_tk=MPfvMtrYUKJVqtNdj6YkbpDI8EZfffbPVZENIX8iZ3o-1644056207-0-gaNycGzNBxE

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jimeve said:

I'm registered on my wife's phil account as a dependent before 2016, so it's free for me.:thumbsup: She just pays 3,700 P for both of us:dance:

Also the case for myself (fortunately !). 

• Like 1

Youngster
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Leave it to the private sector, especially relatives of the politicians. :smile:  

This. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Any further details please i.e. which company offers this?

I used to get it from https://www.1cover.com.au/

1Cover Travel Insurance
Now Includes Medical COVID Cover!
We're super excited that travel is back and to be selling travel insurance policies again.  After the year we’ve all had, who doesn’t need a holiday!?

We understand that many Australian travellers are concerned about catching the coronavirus while overseas. Our new COVID-19 travel insurance can provide peace of mind to help you relax and enjoy your much-needed getaway.

COVID-19 Related Medical Expenses
If you’re travelling internationally, our travel insurance provides cover for your medical costs if you’re diagnosed with COVID-19 by a qualified medical practitioner. This cover includes costs resulting from any overseas hospital medical treatment, ambulance transportation or repatriation back to Australia.

Certain countries have made travel insurance with medical cover for COVID-19 a requirement for entry. The good news is, our policy meets these requirements.

Entering any country will not be quite as easy as it was before this pandemic existed, but with proper planning, the world is your oyster. We encourage travellers to consider and understand the requirements of airlines, transit, and the countries you are travelling to before booking your trip and purchasing a policy.

If you are uncertain about anything or have questions, please contact our customer service team.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Old55 said:

Although mamma and papa have Philhealth the hospital refuses to treat him without paying cash in advance. I would guess this is typical for Foreigners as well?

What happened to the law passed years ago where a hospital must treat you and can not hold you hostage? 

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1007289

• Haha 1