Coronavirus lockdowns and overstays

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, miguel britain said:

married to a Filippina but not living together 

So I take it you never applied for / got a 13(A) visa? You wouldn’t be in the situation you’re in now. I don’t know if it’s still possible, but you might explore that route. Otherwise as others have said ……..you’re in a deep pile of 💩 

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I have a friend who's overstayed, it's really his own fault, he just kept on making excuses, his biggest excuse was he couldn't get back in and didn't want to couch surf until he could. Now he's dug himself a hole that keeps getting bigger. On top of that he isn't vaccinated so he can't go anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Heeb said:

I have a friend who's overstayed, it's really his own fault, he just kept on making excuses, his biggest excuse was he couldn't get back in and didn't want to couch surf until he could. Now he's dug himself a hole that keeps getting bigger. On top of that he isn't vaccinated so he can't go anywhere.

its evident many keep reminding the OP about the creek, very few apart from Scott have offered constructive suggestions on what to do.

I would imagine other than staying under the radar, (as many do) he can only throw himself on the mercy of his embassy, perhaps his MP back in Aussie can pull a few strings. 

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, RBM said:

its evident many keep reminding the OP about the creek, very few apart from Scott have offered constructive suggestions on what to do.

I would imagine other than staying under the radar, (as many do) he can only throw himself on the mercy of his embassy, perhaps his MP back in Aussie can pull a few strings. 

Yea, I was tempted to say "you should have known better" but that would not help the situation.

Miguel, is there any chance BI would give you time to make payment? Hopefully you could have a dialogue with them without jeopardizing your freedom while respecting the local laws and regulations.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I know of one expat who was "up the creek" and he started attending his local church.  After converting to that church's religion he explained his predicament to the Filipino pastor.  The pastor volunteered to take a trip to the BI office and "work it out" for the expat.  The expat had to come up with 40K peso and a round trip to Singapore.  Then he was able to leave the country and come back with a fresh passport stamp.

This happened 8 years ago and may not be possible today.  I lost touch with the expat who did that, but I fully expect he is back in the same situation many years later.  I mention it as a suggestion to solve the Op's current dilemna but I am not recommending this course of action.  It's main advantage is that the pastor is cheaper than a lawyer who would also be able to negotiate with the BI for his client.  It will surely cost money though.

• Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

In the interests of being constructive (and because this is a serious situation)... Miguel is there anyone?  Anyone at all in Australia that you could loan the overstay payment from?  

Clermont
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

its evident many keep reminding the OP about the creek,

The two OP's that have mentioned the creek are properly laying it on the line. We have been constructive in trying to resolve his problem, In mentioning the Australian embassy, I don't believe he has told the true story to them or us, I can speculate. You can't help people if they don't want to give the full information, NO embassy would leave their country man to face imprisonment in a foreign country for a petty crime. I think re-read my answer and have a think on it. :5795:

• Like 5

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

What happened to the Mrs ? Is she living with the O.P. or not ? :89:

A 13A would have saved the situation (as it did with myself), if applied for back at the right time... but easy to be wise in hindsight.

Vaccinations are free and readily available, even to foreigners...certainly in my area (Pangasinan).

Edited by graham59
  • Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The OP hasn't posted for a while... he may not come back at all.

• Like 2