Philippine airlines

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I wonder if I can get some Philippine coverage by telling them I am a resident there.  I don't care if they don't pay out.  I just need a cheap bit of paper to satisfy immigration.

What airline are you flying with? 

I know that many offer travel insurance and most include Covid cover (generally policies are restricted to passengers flying with that airline).  Qantas and Phillipine Airlines are just two that offer it.

Gator
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Rats.  I just looked up Pacific Blue Cross travel insurance for 1 month.  It asked a bunch of health questions and I answered that I do have diabetes.  The result is . . . .  *drum roll* . . .  $744 (but thats CDN eh).  This whole vacation is getting fecking ridiculous but Lyn and her son are so excited about going to visit family that I see no way out but to jump through the hoops.

I just checked the world nomads site and for resident of Canada aged 62, one month travel time, their price for a month is $332 (Canadian Dollars). For some reason it’s almost double the cost for a US citizen (Florida resident)  ……119 USD. Maybe you could use a USA address to get the policy ….. I doubt BOI would check it. All they seem to care about is having a policy that provides Covid coverage and the 35k or more.  And if they do, you could always say you’re a snowbird and that in the winters you head south. 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I know that many offer travel insurance and most include Covid cover (generally policies are restricted to passengers flying with that airline).  Qantas and Phillipine Airlines are just two that offer it.

Great idea and their policies are usually not too outrageously priced. The only potential problem I see is that the policy would also need to clearly state the 35k amount (or more). I’m not sure if those policies do. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Gator said:

Great idea and their policies are usually not too outrageously priced. The only potential problem I see is that the policy would also need to clearly state the 35k amount (or more). I’m not sure if those policies do. 

QANTAS says "unlimited"... one would hope that staff would realize that "unlimited" is more than "35k" but I guess you never know :)

• Haha 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Gator said:

For some reason it’s almost double the cost for a US citizen

I may be on to some cheaper insurance.  I checked my Visa credit card because I remember I am covered for travel medical, but the conditions are max 15 days and under age 65 . .  so they have a phone number for extended coverage and I called . . . . . CDN$130 for the Covid medical coverage only.  I can swallow that, grudgingly.  Pays up to $5 million but that is a silly number.  I guess that means unlimited.

While I have your attention, did any foreigners here have to get the One Health Pass from the Philippine Bureau of Quarantine?  Lyn says she has to get it but it seems that foreign tourists don't need it.  But I would hate to get there and find out I do need it.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

While I have your attention, did any foreigners here have to get the One Health Pass from the Philippine Bureau of Quarantine?  Lyn says she has to get it but it seems that foreign tourists don't need it.  But I would hate to get there and find out I do need it.

I did, but that was under the rules that applied when I arrived in January. I think Brett also had to get it. Not sure if it’s still required and the only places that scanned the QR code was at the airport, hotel and when they did the PCR test at the hotel. 

OHP is basically only an app - it won’t let you access it until 3 days before your departure. Fill in the info - basic personal data n contact info, flight number, hotel info and final address after hotel quarantine. 

If it’s still available you might want fill it out and have it ready. Given how the rules keep changing, IMHO it’s better to be prepared then trying to fill it out at the airport in Manila. 

• Like 2