Cataract surgery

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Possum said:

As a comparison. I went to Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok last week for a complete eye exam and was diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes as well as a minor problem with left retina.

We'll make a decision about whether to have this done in Philippines or Thailand soon.

Wishing you the very best for these procedures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

Question for anyone that has had cataract surgery. How soon after surgery can you see effectively out of the eye? I intend to have both done but the doctor suggested waiting a day or so in between each eye. I assume this is so you can use at least one eye.

I have had surgery before on different parts of my body, everything from having metal fragments removed, holes repaired, pins put in bones and even a third of a lung removed but for some reason eye surgery is more worrying to me than any of that other stuff. :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Possum said:

Question for anyone that has had cataract surgery. How soon after surgery can you see effectively out of the eye? I intend to have both done but the doctor suggested waiting a day or so in between each eye. I assume this is so you can use at least one eye.

I have had surgery before on different parts of my body, everything from having metal fragments removed, holes repaired, pins put in bones and even a third of a lung removed but for some reason eye surgery is more worrying to me than any of that other stuff. :shock_40_anim_gif:

Nothing to worry about, I have had both eyes done this year a few months in between operations but that was my option. Soon as the surgery has finished I could see okay but the doctor recommends you don't drive until the next day. Do not rub the eye, wear the protective eye shield the give you, you might wan't to wear eye shades if going out in the sun. BTW the doctor recommends at least a day in between eye ops in case of failure of the first eye going blind.

BTW I have had my femur op pin and plated, two operations and a bone graft to unify my badly broken femur, which made my leg 2.5 inches shorter than the other.

Cataract op a walk in the park.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I bet you are glad it was only your leg that is 2.5 inches shorter. :hystery:

Grateful for small mercies. :9436:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 months later...
Shanebo
Posted
Posted
On 3/27/2022 at 8:41 AM, jimeve said:

Any info about cataract surgery is most welcome, I have a cataract in my right eye and not sure where to have it done, been told NOT to have it done in the Ph from a friends friend he went blind,

that put me right off. I could go back to the UK and have it done free but may have to be put on a waiting list, how long for, who knows.

Also the NHS don't allow Expats to have free NHS treatment, so I may have to pay anyway.

Jimeve...did you ever have the surgery or went back home to have it done there? I am in the boat needing it done on the same eye.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shanebo said:

Jimeve...did you ever have the surgery or went back home to have it done there? I am in the boat needing it done on the same eye.

Had the cataract surgery done here in the Philippines, both eyes. No problems. 

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

I had lenses replaced in both eyes in November due to cataracts. Had it done at Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok. Vision is now uncorrected 20/30.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My neighbor just had both eyes done at Cebu Doctors University Hospital in Cebu City.  He is very happy with the results, vision is 20/20 both eyes, and he no longer needs reading glasses as he spent extra for the dual focus lenses.  

• Like 2