Dasmarinas or Iloilo City?

RBM
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

I couldn't agree more about Iloilo's attractions but my caution would be if I was a single guy looking for something more where would I go here to find it?  

The problem, or point, is that most who describe it as boring possibly visited before the places you mention were built i.e. 10 years or more ago.

Just to add, many of the problems I read about on this forum simply don't resonate with me here in Iloilo.  It's a very liveable place.

What about smallville, years ago used to quite a night spot with many small bars and bands.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Makes me wonder as to why they moved there in the first place? Surely they did some research regarding the area before moving there? 

It seams to be a recurring theme where people that have never lived in an area buy land and build a house there as that's where their new wife's family come from. Fast forward one year and their new wife's mask slips the family turn into the family from Hell and the foreigner is trapped having spent his money in an area he doesn't like with zero friends and a wife and family that at best tolerate him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It seems you are defensive of the place you chose to live and that is understandable.  But no diving, no hiking, no nightlife, no expat community . . . . hmm  I would not say it is harsh to say the place is boring.  It just is what it is.  I stayed on Biliran Island for years and it was said by many to be boring.  But then there was my gf and her family living there.  That makes the supreme difference for many of us.

So if the OP has no gf yet he should keep an open mind as to where to move, depending on where his future gf is from.

Yep, I didn't mean to come across at all as defensive but I can see how it would read that way when responding to individual comments.  I think I was pretty consistent in my comments though, I continued to make the point that it depends what you're looking for.  

I didn't actually say there was no ex-pat community, just that it's limited.  There is plenty of nightlife, my comment was consistent that for a single guy there are few place to pick up girls to put it bluntly.  Diving and hiking, yes, it's not a place for those activities and if you're life revolves around those then it is boring.  

Hope this doesn't sound defensive too!  

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

What about smallville, years ago used to quite a night spot with many small bars and bands.

There are at least 4 nightlife areas that I frequent, probably more, including Smallville.  The point I was trying to make is that there are very, very few places for single foreign guys to pick up a pretty girl.  Many visitors to the Philippines have that as a priority.  

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It seams to be a recurring theme where people that have never lived in an area buy land and build a house there as that's where their new wife's family come from. Fast forward one year and their new wife's mask slips the family turn into the family from Hell and the foreigner is trapped having spent his money in an area he doesn't like with zero friends and a wife and family that at best tolerate him. 

The problem is that many don't do their due diligence and at the same time fail to ask themselves why this 20-something or 30-something exotic beauty is interested in a fat, balding 60+ year-old! No disrespect to us fat, balding 60+ year-olds!

I always think of a great one-liner the sadly departed Mrs Merton asked Debbie McGee, the wife of the magician Paul Daniels "What first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels, Debbie?" 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

AM (Angry Midget - wife) already owned a house and land about 2 hours north of Dumaguete when we first met.  It's her place but Momma and bro both live there, with extended family living in the surrounding houses.  Over the years we've renovated it to the a point that a westerner would be comfortable there.  It's a quiet, scenic area that I love, and since visiting up there this time around, now I've moved here permanently, I've yet to see another western face whereas pre-pandemic, there were a couple around town that I'd have a chat to.  It's basically our fall-back plan.  As much as I enjoy spending time with her family, I've never spent more than a week with them but the times we have visited they've been more than welcoming and are good, hard-working people that never ask anything of us, but long-term, who can say.  

I'm happy with the 2 hour/2 island rule for now

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BrettGC said:

It's a quiet, scenic area

I thought you mentioned you were in Guihulngan?  I never thought of that as a quiet place.  Always used to be in the news. Google "Guihulngan NPA" to see some of the articles because I just know I'm gonna get knuckles rapped for going off topic. :bonk:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I thought you mentioned you were in Guihulngan?  I never thought of that as a quiet place.  Always used to be in the news. Google "Guihulngan NPA" to see some of the articles because I just know I'm gonna get knuckles rapped for going off topic. :bonk:

Maybe that's where all the westerners went to? NPA got them.

Not sure about in the past, but it's quiet now, I like it :smile:

• Like 2