Jolliobots appear in Manila store

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well just a few weeks back everyone was hoping for huge wage increases.

No to Jollibots? Netizens fear robot servers will take opportunities from working students

Jollibee is leveling up its customer service with a robot server at their BGC Taguig branch.

The robot was spotted by netizen Luv del Rosario and the video was picked up by the Philippine Star. While many netizens were awed by the development, some expressed fear that student part-time workers would be replaced by the Jollibots.

Link to video, https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1315556245596891

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sadly this says a lot about the sorry state of employment in Philippines

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Old55 said:

You mean profit before people? Not just in the Phils - just look at all the self serve checkout counters in the USA (I think Walmart led the way with those) and the self order kiosks in many fast food restos. How many jobs have both of those taken? Of course the counter argument is that it was done to keep prices low, lol

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I don't recall ever having my food delivered at Jollibee.  They always call my number and expect me to walk up and get it.  So this would be a plus, except I cannot imagine the robot getting through the throngs of people inside Jollibee at many times of the day and I cannot imagine some Filipino not grabbing a fry or two off my tray.  After all, is the robot gonna stop him?

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

self order kiosks in many fast food restos.

They have that here too

1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I don't recall ever having my food delivered at Jollibee.  They always call my number and expect me to walk up and get it. 

Yes but one thing I learned back before the war is that if you are dining in and have your food and decide you want something else you just grab a waiter walking by, tell them and give the money  and stay seated. They bring it to you with change or at least the one up the road does.

1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I cannot imagine the robot getting through the throngs of people inside Jollibee

Things have changed or at least in this area, not many people in store besides l think they will move for a robot. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Not really, it's a global trend.  In the UK, the major supermarkets have self-service checkouts, banks have auto-tellers for basic transactions etc etc.  If anything, the Philippines are behind the curve on automation.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes but one thing I learned back before the war is that if you are dining in and have your food and decide you want something else you just grab a waiter walking by, tell them and give the money  and stay seated. They bring it to you with change or at least the one up the road does.

Which war was that JGF?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

Which war was that JGF?

The one in the news :rolleyes:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The one in the news :rolleyes:

I was wondering just how old you might be?  Thinking to myself, was it WW2 or maybe even WW1? :hystery:

• Haha 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, hk blues said:

Not really, it's a global trend.  In the UK, the major supermarkets have self-service checkouts, banks have auto-tellers for basic transactions etc etc.  If anything, the Philippines are behind the curve on automation.

Truly they are..... you cant even use a tap n go card in most supermarkets. They still want to put a card in a credit card /debit card machine which is time wasting. They just dont want to invest. The technology is most certainly here and available.

The other supermarket gripe is there are no self service counters.. so many have debit and credit cards would be so easy to set up some "serve yourself " counters instead of endlessly standing in lines. And they wouldnt need to pat cashiers or baggers either for these.

• Like 1