Why Did You, Or Why Do You Want To Move To The Philippines

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

In view of some recent posts, I was wondering why some of the forum members moved to the Philippines or want to move to the Philippines. I know that as long as I can afford to live in both places that I do have some doubts in my mind about moving to the Philippines full time but I think I need to travel around more and see more places and meet some more people and then decide. While I love Cebu City because of all the things that there seems to be to do there, Cebu is far from perfect and we both hope to meet others with similar interests and who seem to be in stable relationships or want to be, because we seem to get along best with that group of people. Having good friends who want nothing more from you but your friendship is what a good life is about IMO and that is what my wife and I are all about.

Edited by Mr. Lee
  • Like 1

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

I went to Cebu to meet April less than two months later we were married..lol The Philippines wasnt my first choice of destination as at the time I had a good job and a high salary. But after meeting April and visiting Cebu it just felt like home so it soon became it :)Your right about the "right people" as getting a good group is difficult at best as there are a lot of contrasting people from all over the globe so ideals and politics sometimes mess up the mix. But even so finding good friends is always possible how will it be full time? To be honest its more a matter of intergration. The expat community is limited I must have at least 200 Filipino friends in Cebu alone never mind the other islands. As well as the expat community the thing I like about the Filipino community is the fact most dont dwell on politics or other things that are the hot points for us expats a mix of lack of international media coverage and also not coming from outside the Philippines keeps things on happy grounds :SugarwareZ-034: Also hobbies are important not only for cutting down on beer and social but fitness as sitting round the house kills me.. but got the gym going in to keep me occupied shortly.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

8 years of Bush/Cheney.

Patsada
Posted
Posted

...since many years, I was actively looking for a place to retire, expecting affordable cost of living, warm climate, a lot of sea around me, religiously/culturally compatible, and after visiting and considering most of all, and amongst others, Panama, Uruguay, Cyprus, South-Africa, about 4 years ago I met my Filipina wife and then it was not any longer a question where to live......no regrets at all! SugarwareZ-003.gifPatsada

daisy
Posted
Posted (edited)

If I have to answer for my husband....SugarwareZ-011.gifMaybe because he found a Filipina who loves him through thick and thin and he loves in return..of course! :551:

Edited by daisy

Guardian
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was going to go over to try to find a good wife and to be able to live on my measly pension and social security. Now I am not sure with all the bad things I keep reading that go on there. The world has gone mad but it does appear by all the news stories that the Philippines is heading toward a possible dictatorship. I forgot to add that I am also seeing a nice lady here in the states from Cebu so we will have hard decisions to make if that works out.

Edited by Guardian

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I moved here because my wife lives here and I was changing careers to a 'work at home' field. The career change was going to require 1-2 years to get my earning power back up to speed. Since my wife lived here and its cheaper to live here, I figured I'd give it a shot and see if I liked living here. I visited many times before moving here and always enjoyed my visits. However, I've learned that extended visits are not the same as permanent residency. I've found I do not enjoy living here and am looking forward to returning to the US.I think the Philippines is a nice place to retire if you are on a fixed income, but for those who are still working or with ample retirement funds, I don't think the Philippines has much to offer.

• Like 2

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted

We are on a trial so a permanent decision has not been reached. The reasons for moving here were based of course on knowledge gained from previous visits and influenced by the fact my wife is from here.The overall reason is the hope for a better quality of life.

1. Year round tropical climate -- Preferring warm climates, I grew up in Chicago and spent most of my life in New York. I hate winters.
  2. Friendly and English speaking people. I find people here welcoming, friendly, and exceptionally courteous. I never get greeted and called sir and welcomed in words in the US. Children offer respect that you don't find in the US.
  3. Affordable personal services. I could not afford a maid or driver in the US. For the cost of what it took to get my grass cut in North Carolina $45 / cut every 2 weeks. I get a full time live in maid + here. Prospects for paying reasonable / low costs for tutors to learn language, photography, scuba, dancing, etc. My haircuts are 1/4 the cost and include a massage.
  4. Healthy living - Access to fresh fish and vegetables, gyms in the city, pool at home or nearby, beach in reach
  5. Affordable travel for adventure in exotic places, beaches, both in the Philippines and nearby Asian countries -- some that I've never been. Although many places yet to explore in the US -- I'd been to all the majors.

There are some things sacraficed to achieve these things like security but that is not the question. We will see how the trial works. My son and I are sold. My wife is ready to go back. We have just begun our trial so hopefully we will stay. The other option is the "Snowbird" life if it can be afforded. 3-4 months in the US during the summer , 7-8 months here in the winter -- aligning with the school schedule.

• Like 1

abw
Posted
Posted
I moved here because my wife lives here and I was changing careers to a 'work at home' field. The career change was going to require 1-2 years to get my earning power back up to speed. Since my wife lived here and its cheaper to live here, I figured I'd give it a shot and see if I liked living here. I visited many times before moving here and always enjoyed my visits. However, I've learned that extended visits are not the same as permanent residency. I've found I do not enjoy living here and am looking forward to returning to the US.I think the Philippines is a nice place to retire if you are on a fixed income, but for those who are still working or with ample retirement funds, I don't think the Philippines has much to offer.
Hi The Mason. I'm new here (have a look at my intro). That was an interesting post. Could you elaborate on what you meant by extended visits not being the same as permanent residency? I know a lot (probably most) of western foreigners want to create a "little America" (or Australia, UK, Canada or whatever) and end up becoming disappointed because things just aren't the same as back "home". For myself, I basically went back to Australia for financial reasons. At the time I was in my late 30s and I basically ran out of money. I had this idea in my head that I could start a business, which would support me and my wife. The other issue was the feeling of isolation. I ended up spending way too much time hanging out with other foreigners and drinking and bitching about life there. I'm actually going to return to live there in 2 years time with my wife and two kids. There will be a lot of thing we will be doing differently this time around, including spending more time with the locals. We will definitely be financially prepared this time aroundHappy.gif Andrew

Gold Heart
Posted
Posted

The Mason,As I'm retired and am chosing this option, I'd be interested in why you think it does not have much to offer here too -- if you look at my list.I've indicated in my post what I think it has to offer. With sigificant wealth, one item on my reasons - cost of personal services is off the list.Thanks