Why Did You, Or Why Do You Want To Move To The Philippines

Michael
Posted
Posted

The main reason we moved here is because of my wife of 37 years. We were thinking of going south for the winters, we live in Montana. I was thinking maybe Mexico. Ester said if you want to go to Mexico, why don't we go to the Philippines. Other than driving instead of flying and staying in our 5th wheel instead of buying or renting a house what could I say. So here we are in our little house by the sea for six months and then we go back to the states. Why do we go back to the states? We have two children we are very close to and three little grandchildren we miss.

• 1 month later...
redranger
Posted
Posted
so I could live on ss alone
I'm curious. Is that working out for you? I'm hopping to do the same thing in a few years. That is the reason I want to move to the Philippines. I will be here early in March for my first trip. Mostly I will stay in the Cebu area because that looks doable in a lot of ways for living.

Travis
Posted
Posted
I'm curious. Is that working out for you? I'm hopping to do the same thing in a few years. That is the reason I want to move to the Philippines. I will be here early in March for my first trip. Mostly I will stay in the Cebu area because that looks doable in a lot of ways for living.
yes. I am able to live in the city on my ss alone which is around $1000 but I do live in a smaller apartment & I only use my a/s to sleep most times so I can save some money for emergencies. I have most of what I had back home. so yes it can be done but do not expect to live a fancy lifestyle but you could not do that on ss alone in the states either.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
No one can tell what will be in a few years and it is going to depend on what type of lifestyle you wish to live, for instance my wife and I own a condo, so no rent and only taxes and maintenance, so it is pretty inexpensive for us to live while we are here and we eat out almost every night but I also do not drink much and the guys who do drink a lot spend a lot more than I do drinking so they often substitute other cost saving items such as living outside the city for lower rents in order to stay within their budgets. If you give us a better idea of the life you would like to live then we would have a much better idea if you would be able to live on what you expect to get.Such as, rent or own? Married or single? House, condo or apartment and size you wish to live in? Have to have aircon or you prefer to do without it and so on and so on. There are many things that will affect cost, just as back home and if you sell a home and buy one here then cost here would be lower most often but a foreigner cannot own a home and can only own a condo. Also, if you are here in Cebu in March then be sure to come to our get together March 12th and you can meet up with a bunch of people who live here and hear it first hand from them. Many of our members will be there and of course the kind and lovable Boss Man will be there and then of course my lovely wife and I will be there, so stop on by and you will be sure to learn a lot. Also keep posting and you will be a full member pretty soon.
  • Like 1

redranger
Posted
Posted
No one can tell what will be in a few years and it is going to depend on what type of lifestyle you wish to live, for instance my wife and I own a condo, so no rent and only taxes and maintenance, so it is pretty inexpensive for us to live while we are here and we eat out almost every night but I also do not drink much and the guys who do drink a lot spend a lot more than I do drinking so they often substitute other cost saving items such as living outside the city for lower rents in order to stay within their budgets. If you give us a better idea of the life you would like to live then we would have a much better idea if you would be able to live on what you expect to get.Such as, rent or own? Married or single? House, condo or apartment and size you wish to live in? Have to have aircon or you prefer to do without it and so on and so on. There are many things that will affect cost, just as back home and if you sell a home and buy one here then cost here would be lower most often but a foreigner cannot own a home and can only own a condo. Also, if you are here in Cebu in March then be sure to come to our get together March 12th and you can meet up with a bunch of people who live here and hear it first hand from them. Many of our members will be there and of course the kind and lovable Boss Man will be there and then of course my lovely wife and I will be there, so stop on by and you will be sure to learn a lot. Also keep posting and you will be a full member pretty soon.
Any details about the get together on March 12 yet? I really do want to meet members of the forum and get a feel of what expat life in Cebu is like. Lifestyle wise, I don't require much. I would expect that living ss alone one would expect a simple lifestyle. I don't drink very much alcohol, so that's not a problem. I am currently single but open to being married or in a LTR again. I'm also up for living just outside of Cebu for a less expensive apartment or house. My main requirements are a reasonably safe neighborhood, accessible public transportation and high speed internet.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Any details about the get together on March 12 yet? I really do want to meet members of the forum and get a feel of what expat life in Cebu is like. Lifestyle wise, I don't require much. I would expect that living ss alone one would expect a simple lifestyle. I don't drink very much alcohol, so that's not a problem. I am currently single but open to being married or in a LTR again. I'm also up for living just outside of Cebu for a less expensive apartment or house. My main requirements are a reasonably safe neighborhood, accessible public transportation and high speed internet.
Any details about the get together on March 12 yet? I really do want to meet members of the forum and get a feel of what expat life in Cebu is like.
HowdyThe get together is set for the 12 March,start time 4pm onwards,venue will be announced in a few days.You will find the information here, http://www.philippin...=35entry18266Hope you can make it.:welcome:

• 3 weeks later...
Frank
Posted
Posted

as a new resident,i just recently puchased a condo. iam looking to the future. to living here in cebu. i have alot to understand about living here in cebu. my future is to retire in a couple of years.

• 3 weeks later...
love2winalot
Posted
Posted

Hiya: Like a lot of other countries, most never have actual contact with someone from America, Europe, ect. All they know is from TV, or the News. Most also think you are Military if you are here. So we end up with the opportunity to show them the real life example. First impression is everything, as it either reinforces their prior believe, or makes them have, ??????? appear above their head.My wife younger brother, "27" Benny, has Down Syndrome. Pretty much all the things we did is for him. He can not come here permanetly legally, so we are going there. Since we are not retired, the only issue was to have everything ready to go, House, Van, ect, and all paid for, and a way to have an income. The Internet is my income source, and since Gloria will stay here in Las Vegas for a while, she has her CNA Jobs income. We bought a foreclosed house here for, $21,000. I fixed it, and we will sell it in a couple of years. This will provide the nest egg, and investment money. We may buy another foreclosed house later on, and then rent it out.I love the simple life, and it is hard to get more simple than Morong, Bataan.