Unexpected Added Fees

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The latest trend in the United States are unexpected added fees.  Las Vegas has a "resort fee" ranging from $15 to $100 that is added to your hotel bill aside from the usual government taxes.  A restaurant near our current location has a "Covid-19 Recovery Fee" of $3.00 per customer.  A take-out joint has a $2.50 "boxing fee" added to your bill.  In addition, there is a counter sign, "20% Gratuity is Appreciated."  This is for take-out!

Is something similar occurring in the Philippines?

• Sad 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Not that I have heard of. One place I know always charged extra for takeout box even though the business next door which is owned by the same company did not. 

Joey G
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Las Vegas has a "resort fee" ranging from $15 to $100 that is added to your hotel bill aside from the usual government taxes. 

Maybe you haven't been there for a while (??)... this started over 10 years ago... but I'm with you on being irritated by them.  They should just advertise whatever room rate they want... I'll make my decision based on the rate of the room.

• Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Corkage fee 500 p also for food from outside.

Back in 2014 I was staying at a recommended new hotel near Juana Osmena in Cebu. Roofdeck was also a restaurant. A friend came over and brought a jollibee meal with her. I was the only hotel guest up there, and had just finished my lunch on the roofdeck when she arrived. There was 1 staff sitting in the corner inside. My friend started to eat her meal, when the staff approached us, and pointed at a sign "corkage fee 500 p". I said isn't that only for alcohol? Was told that was also for bringing food from outside and eating it there. I replied it must be better that people eat food at the roof deck, rather than in the hotel room. The sign didn't say anything about food. And since no other guest was there, was it really a problem.

This was my second/third month there, so I was a little surprised by the lack of flexibility by the staff and management rules. 

An hour later we was on our way out and walked by front desk, who told me I wouldn't be charged corkage fee this time, but next time 500 p would be added to my bill.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

10-20 % service charge has been added to some restaurant bills here for ages

And no one has mentioned the "express lane fee" at immigration

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I can't say anything about outside of Dumaguete, but some of the fast food and resto's are starting to charge a service fee on holidays etc.  It's an odd one as it's done in the west to cover higher wages etc on those days but to my knowledge hospitality staff aren't payed any extra for Sundays/holidays here.  I could be wrong though.  

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

On the subject of Express lane fees, I was harassed by the better half for paying that the other day, when she noticed that we were the only customers in the office.

"I would rather pay the fee and get the puck out of here, because if I don't pay the fee they will tell me to come back after lunch, which means we will have to wait in the mall for 3 hours, 500 pesos is a bargain, rather than the what will be spent there".

There was deafening silence after that.

• Haha 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Joey G said:

Maybe you haven't been there for a while (??)... this started over 10 years ago... but I'm with you on being irritated by them.  They should just advertise whatever room rate they want... I'll make my decision based on the rate of the room.

Since our retirement eight years ago, our stays in Las Vegas have been limited to RV parks.  The mega resorts may have started it, but now, motels have joined in.  And the trend is now spreading nationwide!  What I read is the resort fee is not included in the commission paid to online booking services.  The taxes are lower for this category.  Besides, many customers look at the base price advertised without calculating the added items that will appear in your final bill.   

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

On the subject of Express lane fees, I was harassed by the better half for paying that the other day, when she noticed that we were the only customers in the office.

"I would rather pay the fee and get the puck out of here, because if I don't pay the fee they will tell me to come back after lunch, which means we will have to wait in the mall for 3 hours, 500 pesos is a bargain, rather than the what will be spent there".

There was deafening silence after that.

You're lucky you have the option - in my local office they automatically add it. Not for Annual Report (yet) but give it time.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 7/10/2022 at 3:46 AM, CebuAndy said:

Corkage fee 500 p also for food from outside.

Back in 2014 I was staying at a recommended new hotel near Juana Osmena in Cebu. Roofdeck was also a restaurant. A friend came over and brought a jollibee meal with her. I was the only hotel guest up there, and had just finished my lunch on the roofdeck when she arrived. There was 1 staff sitting in the corner inside. My friend started to eat her meal, when the staff approached us, and pointed at a sign "corkage fee 500 p". I said isn't that only for alcohol? Was told that was also for bringing food from outside and eating it there. I replied it must be better that people eat food at the roof deck, rather than in the hotel room. The sign didn't say anything about food. And since no other guest was there, was it really a problem.

This was my second/third month there, so I was a little surprised by the lack of flexibility by the staff and management rules. 

An hour later we was on our way out and walked by front desk, who told me I wouldn't be charged corkage fee this time, but next time 500 p would be added to my bill.

I would of checked out forthwith and told them why.