Unexpected Added Fees

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

I would of checked out forthwith and told them why.

Good for you

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, RBM said:

I would of checked out forthwith and told them why.

Would make absolutely no difference to the hotel. Reputation, service or critical thinking is totally lacking.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There is another incident that should be added to this topic.  Needing one way business class tickets from Istanbul to Los Angeles (bad back requires a flatbed for long haul trips), the online prices were super expensive.  I telephoned one of those advertised "discount business class" companies.  The experienced wasn't that good.  They kept pushing for other products like travel insurance.  Once the price was settled, I was directed to a payment webpage.  One line requested that I tip the travel agent.  No way!  But the payment page would not allow me to complete the transaction if this line was blank.  I finally relented by adding, $   .00.  It worked.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The latest in added fees is an article that restaurants are starting to charge 3.5% to 4.0% as a "credit card swipe fee."  To avoid this fee, you need to pay in cash.  Gas stations have been doing it for many years.  Their signs post prices for both credit and cash.  The concern is other industries like retail stores might follow.  The prediction was a future society that was cashless.  Now what?

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The latest in added fees is an article that restaurants are starting to charge 3.5% to 4.0% as a "credit card swipe fee."  To avoid this fee, you need to pay in cash. 

Depending on the card and the class of business accepting the card the fees are 1.5-2.5% the merchant has to pay, AMEX is higher. The "swipe fee" serves two purposes. 1.Recover the cost the credit card mafia charges the merchant. 2. Encourage the US of cash as it is harder to trace cash for tax purposes.

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The latest in added fees is an article that restaurants are starting to charge 3.5% to 4.0% as a "credit card swipe fee."  To avoid this fee, you need to pay in cash.  Gas stations have been doing it for many years.  Their signs post prices for both credit and cash.  The concern is other industries like retail stores might follow.  The prediction was a future society that was cashless.  Now what?

Just imagine what the charge will be that day the society really is cashless, and we have no other choice than to use the cards.😠

Freebie
Posted
Posted
On 7/9/2022 at 10:09 PM, JJReyes said:

Is something similar occurring in the Philippines?

Was in Dumaguete in Robinsons Mall recently waiting out the rain.

Went to some coffee counter near supermarket entrance.  . Got our coffee and asked for sugar.. server comes up with a glass jar that has brown sugar cubes and insists on giving us one cube. Wouldnt let me near the precious glass sugar container.

We asked for one more cube " No Sir that will be 10 pesos. ". And this is next to the entrance of supermarket there where I can buy a bag of sugar ( 500g ) for 30 pesos !

What idiot makes up these policies and think they serve any purpose.

One more on the list of places never to use again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Greglm said:

Depending on the card and the class of business accepting the card the fees are 1.5-2.5% the merchant has to pay, AMEX is higher. The "swipe fee" serves two purposes. 1.Recover the cost the credit card mafia charges the merchant. 2. Encourage the US of cash as it is harder to trace cash for tax purposes.

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/business/2016/09/30/BSP-Charging-more-for-credit-card-payments-is-illegal.html

https://pnl-law.com/blog/dti-disallows-higher-price-of-purchases-paid-through-cards/

Show them this article or the similar ruling from DTI . They will usually then back down with their illegal nonsense.  This law has been in place for along time now.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Freebie said:

They will usually then back down with their illegal nonsense.

It is good to hear that some will back down.  My experience with the credit card surcharge occurred when buying building supplies.  They were more than happy to waive the charge if I paid cash but they pointed out that the credit card use is to help the customer to finance their purchase.  The store refused to accept it if I would not pay the surcharge.  And truthfully, I was happy they accepted my card as I did not have the cash handy and they did not care if they got my business or not.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It is good to hear that some will back down.  My experience with the credit card surcharge occurred when buying building supplies.  They were more than happy to waive the charge if I paid cash but they pointed out that the credit card use is to help the customer to finance their purchase.  The store refused to accept it if I would not pay the surcharge.  And truthfully, I was happy they accepted my card as I did not have the cash handy and they did not care if they got my business or not.

I was buying an item in SM City and the store had a way around charging for card purchases - offer a cash discount instead! They wouldn't even honour the cash discount for a debit card.  Of course, the product price was already inflated by the card charge amount so the cash discount was simply bringing the cost back to where it should have been.

It's a strategy that has been in place in the UK (and I'm sure elsewhere) for decades. 

• Like 3