Unexpected Added Fees

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Freebie said:

Was in Dumaguete in Robinsons Mall recently waiting out the rain.

Went to some coffee counter near supermarket entrance.  . Got our coffee and asked for sugar.. server comes up with a glass jar that has brown sugar cubes and insists on giving us one cube. Wouldnt let me near the precious glass sugar container.

We asked for one more cube " No Sir that will be 10 pesos. ". And this is next to the entrance of supermarket there where I can buy a bag of sugar ( 500g ) for 30 pesos !

What idiot makes up these policies and think they serve any purpose.

One more on the list of places never to use again.

Funny story. 

There was a time when customers helped themselves to condiments at a table.  They consumption or loss of ketchup, sugar, salt, pepper, and even napkins was huge.  Now you have to ask the counter clerk for them.  Or burger joints have pump dispensers and small containers.

Gator
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

I was buying an item in SM City and the store had a way around charging for card purchases - offer a cash discount instead! They wouldn't even honour the cash discount for a debit card.  Of course, the product price was already inflated by the card charge amount so the cash discount was simply bringing the cost back to where it should have been.

It's a strategy that has been in place in the UK (and I'm sure elsewhere) for decades. 

Not as prevalent, especially at the big box stores, but it’s the same in the USA. Many smaller (privately owned) stores will give a cash discount if you ask for it. Stores that up charge for credit card purchases must have a sign clearly displayed stating the percentage and their policy. You don’t see it often, but a few places still do it. If they do up charge on the sly you can always dispute the charge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Some airlines are now charging a call center fee to buy, change or cancel a ticket over the phone, according to Business Insider.  Allegiant charges a fee of $15, both United and JetBlue charge $25, and Frontier and Spirit charge $35 per ticket.  The airlines had previously imposed a similar fee, but they stopped because of irate customers.  What's next?  A charge (coin or credit card) to use the toilet?  What about a coin operated overhead baggage compartment?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

What about a coin operated overhead baggage compartment?

Now that I could almost get behind,,,,Frustrates the hell out of me when some rube brings the kitchen sink into the cabin 

bin.png

Gas
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It is good to hear that some will back down.  My experience with the credit card surcharge occurred when buying building supplies.  They were more than happy to waive the charge if I paid cash but they pointed out that the credit card use is to help the customer to finance their purchase.  The store refused to accept it if I would not pay the surcharge.  And truthfully, I was happy they accepted my card as I did not have the cash handy and they did not care if they got my business or not.

Makes sense why they didn’t care if they got your business, as they probably operate on a small profit margin. 
My wife’s business installed credit card readers around 15 years ago and within 3 months we uninstalled them because of the ridiculous charges. If I remember correctly I think there was a 3% charge plus another 3 to 4% BIR tax which came of automatically. 

Her business operates on a profit margin of a few percentage points and paying 6 to 7% fees would have made a huge dent in her bottom line. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

Frustrates the hell out of me when some rube brings the kitchen sink into the cabin

Here's a tale that will frost you.  Here in Western Canada we are finally getting some discount airlines.  Scoot is one, and they charge extra bringing a carry on with you on the plane.  In fact, the price of a 10 Kg carry-on piece is almost exactly the same as the price of a 23 Kg checked luggage.  So when I travelled last month I expected most people would be like me and check their luggage.  Nope.  Crazy people are all paying for those huge carry-ons and lugging them about the aisle just so they don't have to wait at the baggage carousel when they get to the destination.

• Sad 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 7/21/2022 at 9:26 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Here's a tale that will frost you.  Here in Western Canada we are finally getting some discount airlines.  Scoot is one, and they charge extra bringing a carry on with you on the plane.  In fact, the price of a 10 Kg carry-on piece is almost exactly the same as the price of a 23 Kg checked luggage.  So when I travelled last month I expected most people would be like me and check their luggage.  Nope.  Crazy people are all paying for those huge carry-ons and lugging them about the aisle just so they don't have to wait at the baggage carousel when they get to the destination.

Charging extra for luggage was like winning the lottery for the airline industry.  The annual revenue is something like USD 2 or 3 billion.  No additional services compared to earlier years.  The airlines went from zero revenues to big time.