5yrs Jail time if you're not careful with your cash

Colsie
Posted
Posted

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) introduces the new polymer thousand peso banknote...the alleged driver being that due to covid, polymer notes would be easier to keep clean.

The BSP have the opinion that the new notes are somewhat more fragile than the old notes and the public have been warned that if they are caught damaging them, they risk a 5 year jail sentence and no more than 20,000 peso fine.. 

Plastic currency notes have been used in Aus for more than twenty years without issues. 

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1176514

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Philippine authorities like passing all kinds of new laws and rules.  The problem is enforcement and prosecution.  Just imagine the negative publicity if you apprehend a foreign national for folding paper money.  

• Like 1

Colsie
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Philippine authorities like passing all kinds of new laws and rules.  The problem is enforcement and prosecution.  Just imagine the negative publicity if you apprehend a foreign national for folding paper money.  

I hear you...but at the end of the day, it's a law and its good to be aware of it... and it can and probably will be enforced on some filopinos to drive home their message.

This in turn may effect foreigners if that person being procecuted is their partner or the family of their partner... 

But yes, the post title was meant to add a bit of excitement or drama to the viewer :dance:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Just imagine the negative publicity if you apprehend a foreign national for folding paper money.  

It will probably be an "add on".  Like if you are charged with raising your voice to a Filipina, and being onsite, (allegedly part owner by virtue of being there), at a business run by a Filipina, and also folding paper money.  Jail and deportation for that! Good ones in.  Bad ones out. (That's their slogan.)  Seen it happen, (except the folding money part).  The guy and his Filipina partner live in Thailand now.  BI has his car and cash.  His ex has a smug look.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

From the article <snip>BSP officials said folded banknotes are unfit for circulation. Although it can still be accepted, they suggest depositing or having it exchanged in the bank.<end snip>

This could turn into a real nightmare for the consumer.  A year or so back my wife was shopping at Gaisano.  The clerk said one of the 20 peso notes was damaged and she could not accept it.  My wife does not back down.  She told the clerk she had to accept as it was legal tender.  The clerk said the wife could take it to the bank and they will exchange it.  My wife told her Gaisano can take it to the bank, call the manager. Clerk took the note.  I expect she passed it on the next person who needed change.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

What struck me most was the quote "Its time for us to discipline ourselves" lolol, 

Won't effect us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,when I exchange dollars, I head straight to our credit union (next door) and change all the 1k bills for 500s and 100s

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Colsie said:

I hear you...but at the end of the day, it's a law and its good to be aware of it... and it can and probably will be enforced on some filopinos to drive home their message.

I think they are mainly talking about folding like you see the Jeepney drivers and their fare collectors do. Putting the notes in a wallet and folding it closed will be fine as it wont stay folded.

Anyway if you had a folded note in your possession how would they know who folded it? 

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Try telling the jeepney drivers not to roll up their notes!  

• Like 2

skippyscage
Posted
Posted

about time to come into the present and roll out contactless everywhere - debit and credit cards and wallets, like Apple Pay, Andriod Pay, GCash etc.

I did a trip to the US, Turkey and Greece lately and used exactly zero cash anywhere - this has been accelerated due to Covid and makes life real easy.

• Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Anyway if you had a folded note in your possession how would they know who folded it? 

Well, if he was a long nose holding the note, no doubt who folded it. Case solved.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1