Rent a ticket, throwaway

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I bought a rented ticket for onward flight, $9 USD

The ticket came within a few hours and I went to the airline site with booking number and checked that it was genuine which it was.

Issue now is I misunderstood how it worked and the ticket is valid for 72 hours which means they cancel it after that. What the mistake from me is that the 72 hours has already began, 4 weeks to soon.

The place I got it have not replied to my queries so probably I cant change the ticket.

Anyone think it will matter as I have the printed itinerary and the dates are within the 30 days after l arrive back here so if the airlines or BI ask for proof l can show them but in reality the flight booking would have been canceled.

• Hmm thinking 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

As all airlines are linked ticket wise , it will definitely show  on the agents screen that its cancelled.  And so if they ask where your onward ticket is, shit and creek might just combine. you can take the chance but for US$9.....much easier easier to rebook when the ticket is required , no ?

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Freebie said:

As all airlines are linked ticket wise , it will definitely show  on the agents screen that its cancelled.  And so if they ask where your onward ticket is, shit and creek might just combine. you can take the chance but for US$9.....much easier easier to rebook when the ticket is required , no ?

True but  l doubt the airline  will actually check a booking number. 

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Many anecdotal stories of airlines doing exactly that for guys coming into Philippines and demanding /requesting a valid onward ticket . they all have access to Matimco system which shows if a ticket is valid or not.  ..YMMV....

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

True but  l doubt the airline  will actually check a booking number. 

I bet you 1,000 pesos that either the airline will check it when you check in or the BI official will check it when you re-enter the Philippines.  Just a friendly bet, payable next time we have beers.  Are we on?

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I bet you 1,000 pesos that either the airline will check it when you check in or the BI official will check it when you re-enter the Philippines.  Just a friendly bet, payable next time we have beers.  Are we on?

My question is really will they check by looking at the printed ticket or will they actually check the booking number online. Never once had the BI check and yes l know its a requirement and the BI generally leave it to the airlines as they are the ones who could be fined.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

will they actually check the booking number online. Never once had the BI check

I'll put my money up for that.  I have only had the BI check once but then I only had a fake ticket once so that is why I am willing to place the bet.  Are we on?  "Somebody WILL actually check the booking number in their computer" is my end of the bet.  Come on,  if you are gonna use it lets bet.  Keep in mind it may be a year and a half or so before I get back there.  I wouldn't bet with just anybody but I know you will be good for it if I win.  And it will depend if they take those old thousand peso notes out of circulation because mine was stuck to my forehead long ago so not a new one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
On 7/20/2022 at 10:25 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

The ticket came within a few hours and I went to the airline site with booking number and checked that it was genuine which it was.

Issue now is I misunderstood how it worked and the ticket is valid for 72 hours which means they cancel it after that. What the mistake from me is that the 72 hours has already began, 4 weeks to soon.

The place I got it have not replied to my queries so probably I cant change the ticket.

Anyone think it will matter as I have the printed itinerary and the dates are within the 30 days after l arrive back here so if the airlines or BI ask for proof l can show them but in reality the flight booking would have been canceled.

I have to sort an onward ticket out next month. So, do you have to arrange the rented ticket at the last minute before coming back to the Philippines? 

Which mob did you use for the ticket? they sound genuine if you were able to check the booking. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 7/20/2022 at 10:25 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I can vouch that they checked my ticket when I flew in from Malaysia and also Cambodia as they were turning people away who tried to wing it.  It took them a good 4 minutes each check but they weren't in a hurry.  Two girls in front of me in Cambodia had to rebook flights. 

• Like 2

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

I guess I'm more of a risk taker, but the only ones who ever checked my follow on ticket was the airlines when I was leaving the US for the PI, and then they only looked for the departure dates being correct.  But I still agree with Freebie, for $9 why take the risk.  On the betting side, Dave I'll take your bet.:cheersty:  I just traveled a month ago, and as with all other times, the agent only looked at the departure date and was way too busy to check anything online.  And with the BI agents, they have never checked in years of travel.  But then again, it could just be my charming personality :hystery: