Rent a ticket, throwaway

Colsie
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Freebie said:

I think at some point airlines will get together and find a way to ban these ticket rentals. They will claim they are losing revenue by passengers renting tickets that dont include a flight. A loophole Im sure they will try to close at some stage in the future.

So what would you do if they did ban you from using these onward ticket rentals? 

:hystery:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Colsie said:

So what would you do if they did ban you from using these onward ticket rentals? 

:hystery:

I suppose buying a cheapo "real" ticket would be an option? 

Colsie
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I suppose buying a cheapo "real" ticket would be an option? 

This is the first time I've splashed out and bought one of these expensive rented tickets...

Over the past 10yrs or so I always bought the cheapo Cebu Pacific piso ticket. With the confusion over the "onward has to be within 30 days" polava, I chose to pay $10 and get the rented one... 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Colsie said:

This is the first time I've splashed out and bought one of these expensive rented tickets...

Over the past 10yrs or so I always bought the cheapo Cebu Pacific piso ticket. With the confusion over the "onward has to be within 30 days" polava, I chose to pay $10 and get the rented one... 

I'll admit this is all fuzzy to me as I'm here on a 13a so no need to worry about such stuff.

I guess the only answer is to get married!  

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Freebie said:

They will claim they are losing revenue

I suspect they will just "up the price" for cancelling a ticket.  Someone is buying a real ticket and then cancelling, unless its a hack.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I suspect they will just "up the price" for cancelling a ticket.  Someone is buying a real ticket and then cancelling, unless its a hack.

What would happen if you actually take the flight on a rented ticket?  There must be some way the middle man is protected their investment in the full price of the ticket.

Colsie
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

What would happen if you actually take the flight on a rented ticket?  There must be some way the middle man is protected their investment in the full price of the ticket.

Not sure if I am allowed to post links, but this explains the rented ticket in a bit more detail 

The above was written in 2015 and appears to identify a weakness in the system, were the onward ticket has to be for a flight within the tickets 48-72hr validity. This is not true. 

For example on 11 August I requested a rented ticket for any flight to depart Manila on the 22nd August. 

I flew to Manila on the 16-17th August and asked to have my 72hr validity start the day before on the 15th at 8:20am (just to give me some time if the system didn't work). 

Everything worked like clockwork. I got my new itinary in my email on the 15th on time for a flight out of Manila on the 22nd August to Bangkok. 

Obviously it was impossible for me to catch this flight because my ticket would auto expire 72hrs after it was issued on the 15th 

Not sure if I would have asked to depart Manila within the 72hr validity of the ticket whether I could have, but I guess not many people would try that :89:

Edited by Mike J
Removed URL as it is a blog
  • Like 1