Living cost where you live

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just wondering what sort of increases has your everyday bills gone up since living in the Philippines, I know most bills go up each year but for some reason this year seems to be the worst and the threat of more price  increase in the near future where I live here in the UK , so just asking are you bills raising at a alarming rate .

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Just wondering what sort of increases has your everyday bills gone up since living in the Philippines, I know most bills go up each year but for some reason this year seems to be the worst and the threat of more price  increase in the near future where I live here in the UK , so just asking are you bills raising at a alarming rate .

Fuel and electricity for the obvious reasons but other than that our day-to-day is about the same.  I was expecting a lot of groceries to go up due to the rising cost of transport but haven't really noticed it yet.  

• Like 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OzeMike said:

My wife does our shopping and says most grocery items have jumped in price here in Dumaguete.

Add to that electricity and LPG continual price increases. 

The big jump in our budget has been diesel prices for the Pajero so we try not to use it anymore than we need and use the Honda Beat 110cc instead which is very thrifty.

In summary the cost of living increases for us a family of 3 is very noticeable this year. 

Totally agree.  Sums it up accurately.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

No car so fuel not an issue - taxi fare unchanged for about 1+ years and Jeepney a peso or 2 up but negligible.  Internet and Cignal unchanged.  LPG definitely surged by 25% over the past year or so, water very very slightly up but negligible - electricity up but maybe 10% or so.  Groceries definitely up according to my wife.  Beer also up.

Overall, prices are on the up but not by as much as they appear to be in the UK for example, at least for us.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, OzeMike said:

My wife does our shopping and says most grocery items have jumped in price here in Dumaguete...I imagine the larger cities in the country must be the same.

Add to that electricity and LPG continual price increases. 

Our rent is one area which has not jumped...partly because in this area at any rate, the surge expected in expats moving into the country after the Covid restrictions were finally eased has been more of a trickle.

We also have a excellent relationship with our landlord and our rent has not increased in the 4 years we have been here.

The big jump in our budget has been diesel prices for the Pajero so we try not to use it anymore than we need and use the Honda Beat 110cc instead which is very thrifty.

In summary the cost of living increases for us a family of 3 is very noticeable this year. And on an Aussie and UK pension we don't have the advantage of the  big US dollar exchange rate enjoyed by my American cousins to offset them.

Can I ask what rent you are paying plus what is the size of your house 

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for replying, we all expect the bills to go up each year and many plan for it but it’s getting really bad here , I may have to consider getting a part time job just to pay the electricity bill soon , the last sentence is a joke I hope 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

electricity up but maybe 10% or so

Are you sure about that?  That seems like a very low increase.

Not here in Subic Freeport, Olongapo and I think Angeles too.  In December 2021 I paid 10.07 per kwh.  In July 2021, I paid 14.8 per kwh.  That is a 47% increase in 7 months.

Almost all the electricity produced here uses coal.  Since the war on coal and other fossil fuels was started in January 2021, this is what happened.

Screenshot (738).png

• Like 3