Where to live in the PI for what I'm looking for.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I hiked from Abra De Ilog in Occidental Mindoro to Puerta Galera through the jungle a few years back and came across a small village where everyone ran away and watched me from a distance.  Only about ten homes made out of what they found in the jungle. It was weird as there was about half adozen fires with water or food cooking but the locals had dropped everything and legged it. 

That reminds me of the 1st time I visited Greenock!  

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I hiked from Abra De Ilog in Occidental Mindoro to Puerta Galera through the jungle a few years back and came across a small village where everyone ran away and watched me from a distance.  Only about ten homes made out of what they found in the jungle. It was weird as there was about half adozen fires with water or food cooking but the locals had dropped everything and legged it. 

Possibly aboriginal Mangyan people.  When I met my wife, who grew up after the age of 10 in Mindoro, near Calapan after their father died in Capiz in northern Panay where his family lived, to the widowed mother's kin area, she knew a few.

One of her friend's took us up the nearby mountain one day to meet her aged mother who was half-half. Her little abode was perched along a ridge next to the road, like you often see in mountainous areas. Very nice lady.

Mangyan people would sometimes come to town. Sometime to work construction for food, I was told. Sometimes they would wander in to beg at the muelle / dock area where tourists arrived in Puerto Galera, and the local Pinoy would wave them off.

When I first came to the PI to meet a friend who had been coming here for 12 years, he was eager to take me to the Calapan public market, because a few times he had seen bare-breasted Mangyan women there, and for some reason, thought that was.....

Along the old road from PG to Sabang, there were still some Mangyan bamboo huts, where they lived at the time and when we walked the distance for a nice 1.5 hour exercise trek, we would sometime come across a Mangyan child and give a few pisos.

Here's more info, if interested :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangyan

Lots of 'invisible people' still living in the boondoks, even today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

That reminds me of the 1st time I visited Greenock!  

Having done a few jobs in Greenock I found if you took shiny trinkets the natives were more friendly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Having done a few jobs in Greenock I found if you took shiny trinkets the natives were more friendly. 

I visited a fair few times as I was a football fan - never found them friendly but never thought to take trinkets.  

• Haha 1

Peter Magnolia
Posted
Posted
On 1/18/2023 at 9:55 AM, Snowy79 said:

Wow! Extraordinary experience. That's what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Peter Magnolia said:

Wow! Extraordinary experience. That's what I'm looking for.

Highlands of Papua New Guinea it's still very common. 

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Highlands of Papua New Guinea it's still very common. 

Are they cannibals?

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, jimeve said:

Are they cannibals?

Sounding better and more adventurous all the time.   Peter wants to know how to sign up.  :hystery:

• Haha 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, jimeve said:

Are they cannibals?

They used to be, as well as head shrinkers and cargo cultists - look it up :thumbsup:

• Like 1