Where to live in the PI for what I'm looking for.

Peter Magnolia
Posted
Posted

Hello, My name is Pete. I am new to the site and was interested in learning about retiring in the Philippines. This appears to be the right forum for that. I don't know much about the Islands except for the climate, surroundings and reasonable cost of living. I would like to know more about where I might live as an expat to experience sand and waves, exciting nightlife and solitude when desired. I was told a little bit about Bantayan so far. Thanks!

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome Peter! Glad to have you join us. :tiphat:

Your question is commonly asked and some of us older members kinda roll our eyes but it's a good question. 

First a few questions for you.

Have you ever visited Philippines in the past?

Have you ever visited or lived in a third world country? 

Solitude is rare in Philippines. You will deal with roosters, barking dogs, loud exhaust and karaoke even in fairly remote locals. 

Bantayan is lovely! It has a number of great beaches but is a day trip from a major city.

• Like 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Peter Magnolia said:

where I might live as an expat to experience sand and waves

Provinces like Moalboal

nightlife

Manila or Cebu City

solitude

High-rise condo or guarded subdivision

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Welcome Peter.  As @Old55 wrote in his post, tell us more about yourself and details about what you are seeking.  That will help forum members give you a better idea of what is available.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

This forum is a very good resource, and it is the site to ask specific questions.  You may also try YouTube for information on expat retirement.  Just remember it's very opinionated (some numbers like the cost of living are unbelievable).  There are bitter stories about how a girlfriend and her family robbed the poor guy of his wealth. 

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Welcome the forum Peter. 

Here's a video by a guy that's been here a while that gives good advice, a guide to people moving here.  A lot of it is pretty obvious but there's a lot of good advice for any overseas move.

I know you're not at this stage yet but it's a good one to check out.  

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

For myself Boracay ticks all the boxes, World class beaches, over 500 bars and restaurants, all classes of hotels, great nightlife, airport on the doorstep plus a sea port. 

If you want solitude and no noise stay at Alta Vista, Fairways and Bluewater or Newcoast, all within resorts with landscaped gardens away from the rat race but just a ten minute trike ride to the heart of Boracay. Next to three very quiet beaches. 

They've even got a hop on hop off air con bus service now where you load an app and can ride around all day for a single fee of about 180 peso per day. The island is 7.5km long.

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Peter from your experiences you should fit in the Philippines as well as anybody. 

Filipinas can be very alluring so you have been warned! LOL

Personally I like Bantayan as your friend did. It features some of the items on your list but is remote. On the other hand it would be somewhat less expensive than other locations near to or in a larger city. 

• Like 4