PNP monthly check on foreigner's

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

They came to visit my in a gated subdivision years ago.  The guards did not stop them.  In fact, some of the cops lived in the same subdivision.  But they only told me about the requirement to register with the barangay and never came back to see if I had done it.

I had a similar experience in Cebu. Back in 2014 when I rented an apartment that was managed by a large corporation I was given a notice (with an official looking Barangay header) to register with them. Again, no follow up by the landlord or anyone. I did register and got a certificate of residency, which helped opening a bank account. 

Colsie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Good point.  Since they left paperwork for Colsie to complete it may be wise to take it to the BI and ask if its legit.

That's what I plan to do next week when I get my first visa extention... 

My GF has just informed me the cop that came around the first time, a month ago, was actually her cousin... and he was one of her cousins that is really nice....opposed to some of the other cousins who are not nice... 

I think the GF has several thousand cousins though :mocking:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Colsie said:

My GF has just informed me the cop that came around the first time, a month ago, was actually her cousin... and he was one of her cousins that is really nice....opposed to some of the other cousins who are not nice... 

Define Cousin. 

• Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Define Cousin. 

Good point...

• Hmm thinking 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Colsie said:

I think the GF has several thousand cousins though

Run.

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Colsie said:

Something smells fishy. I wonder why your GF is just telling you now that it was her cousin?  I wonder why it was her cousin who came - quite a coincidence I'd say. Maybe the family trying to get some intelligence on you, Colsie?

Just one of many curious things that happen here when it comes to bureaucracy and likely nothing to it but...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted

I guess I'm wondering how they would even know where you lived?  What does the PNP have that tells them where we live?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Peaceful John said:

I guess I'm wondering how they would even know where you lived?  What does the PNP have that tells them where we live?

Barangay Captains.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Old55 said:

Define Cousin

Any person related by blood or marriage or political affiliation.  It is based on a patronage system for mutual benefit and protection.  A well-organized group will have military personnel, police officers, lawyers, doctors, nurses, government officials, educators, etc.  If you encounter problems with the law, a police officer cousin is expected to take care of it.  Your role as a rich foreigner is financial.  This may include paying for the education of a poor cousin or buying food for a family get together.  

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Any person related by blood or marriage or political affiliation.  It is based on a patronage system for mutual benefit and protection.  A well-organized group will have military personnel, police officers, lawyers, doctors, nurses, government officials, educators, etc.  If you encounter problems with the law, a police officer cousin is expected to take care of it.  Your role as a rich foreigner is financial.  This may include paying for the education of a poor cousin or buying food for a family get together.  

Very well said JJ. It may also include foreigners paying (or at least expected to pay) for medical emergencies and funerals. 

• Haha 1