My life experience so far in Philippines

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The Raize looks like a great package!  When we were looking for a small car in 2017 I ruled out the Wigo because it only has 67 hp.  We live on a hill and I hated getting stuck behind them.  The Raize has the same engine but with Turbo it has 98 hp. Must be nice and zippy.  Nice looks too!  We ended up buying the Honda Brio with 88 hp.  Very zippy and a lot of fun to drive on the hills and curves.  If we were to replace it, the Raize would be at the top of the list.

Actually ours is a non-turbo model. They only had one turbo here in Davao and it was white - I did not want a white car - shows dirt so easily. I'm not sure any more about the non-turbo power, but I thought it was closer to 90 or 100 hp when I was researching? I read reviews and what I read indicated that turbo or not had similar performance. With a 2 month or longer waiting period for a turbo in our preferred grey colour, we took the first grey one that showed up. There are three grades of Raize and ours is the middle. My goodness but it has a lot of bells and whistles!

L was pushing for a Rush. We already have an Avanza and, to me, the Rush is just sort of a spiced up Avanza. One 7 seater (or more - you know how Filipinos can pack into a car!) was enough for us as far as I was concerned. The Raize - though small - has adequate space (a tiny bit cramped in the back seat if I am the driver with my seat all the way back) and plenty of room for groceries and luggage and - if necessary for a short trip only - a 30 kgm Belgian. Open a rear window and he is happy.

It was a bit embarrassing to take it in for its first warranty service (free). After one month we had put 162 kms on it out of the allowed 1k kms. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I'm not sure any more about the non-turbo power, but I thought it was closer to 90 or 100 hp when I was researching?

I wrongfully assumed they all had the 1.0 turbo.  The others have a 1.2 non-turbo with 88 hp, same as our Brio.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I wrongfully assumed they all had the 1.0 turbo.  The others have a 1.2 non-turbo with 88 hp, same as our Brio.

Well, all I can say is that this car has a lot of get-up-and-go no matter the hp....Sure.... if I lived in Montana or Wyoming, then 1,000 hp would be a lot of fun - if not deadly. But for our relatively small jaunts and usually just shopping, this car has plenty of power. It is re-assuring when passing a truck or whatever and need some extra speed to complete it safely, There is plenty of power to take care of it. I was actually surprised the first time I put my foot down on the empty highway and noticed the power.... From what I read online and in the literature at the dealer, the hp difference between the turbo and non-turbo is minimal. After previously owning a turbo car (Saab 99), I am happy with the non-turbo - less expense when it packs it in plus no need to wait at idle after a hot run to let it cool down.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The Raize looks like a great package!  When we were looking for a small car in 2017 I ruled out the Wigo because it only has 67 hp.  We live on a hill and I hated getting stuck behind them.  The Raize has the same engine but with Turbo it has 98 hp. Must be nice and zippy.  Nice looks too!  We ended up buying the Honda Brio with 88 hp.  Very zippy and a lot of fun to drive on the hills and curves.  If we were to replace it, the Raize would be at the top of the list.

We narrowed our choice down to the Brio and the Raize.  The Raize won because of the slightly higher ground clearance as we have a good few high speed bumps around.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

less expense when it packs it in plus no need to wait at idle after a hot run to let it cool down.

I could be wrong but I think the modern turbos on regular cars don't require a cooling period.

3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I was actually surprised the first time I put my foot down on the empty highway and noticed the power

You didn't test the power at the dealer?  I always take the sales guy for a ride.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

You didn't test the power at the dealer?  I always take the sales guy for a ride.

No test drives at Toyota dealers at least in Davao.... That's one of a few things that really irritated me when car searching.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I could be wrong but I think the modern turbos on regular cars don't require a cooling period.

During the test drive of an SRT Challenger I entered an on-ramp and the young sales man said "go ahead and give it some throttle". I smiled put my foot all the way down and my wife started saying bad words in Bysia.

Sometimes I miss that car. 

• Haha 4