Repainting the house

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Don's not here man. 

I told you not to reveal that I send you telepathic messages.

(I have been watching the TV show "Manifest".)

• Haha 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Mike J said:

Go to the hardware store, or lazada, and buy TSP, Trisodium Phosphate.  Comes as a powder that you mix with water.  It is a very strong detergent and painters use it to clean walls prior to painting or applying wall paper.   I have used it and it really cuts through the dirt and grease.  Should be perfect for that kitchen ceiling.  Make sure to rinse thoroughly after cleaning.

<snip>The ability of trisodium phosphate to break fats and greases into water-soluble glycerin and soap makes it extremely useful in scouring powders. When combined with abrasives and chlorine-generating bleaches, trisodium phosphate removes cooking grease and stains.<end snip>

Kemrad Trisodium Phosphate Technical Grade 1 kilo

Thanks Mike! I will take a look at this product and how to use it in a safe way!

11 hours ago, jimeve said:

Or as a safer alternative use sugar soap. Professionals use this.

Thanks Jim, I will have a good look on this one as well. Is it something that can be bought in the hardware/paint stores?

9 hours ago, hk blues said:

Plenty of good suggestions from fellow posters on cleaning - personally, I don't bother but I've always lived in new places so it isn't really a requirement.  One lesson I have learned (although not actually acted on:smile:) is to use primer on new walls.

As for brands -  I've painted every room in our house here over the past 3 years so have plenty of current experience! My experience has been both Boyson and Davies are fine.  I also used Triton which was great in terms of coverage but I've noticed over the past year that one of the areas I've used it on has started to become patchy and chalky which hasn't happened with the other brand paint in exactly the same area.  Conversely, Triton enamel is way better than Boyson in terms of ease of use (it isn't too thick) and it stays fine in the tin for longer than Boyson.  The most expensive paint I bought was a dark maroon Boysen special mix and It took 6 coats to cover and that was dark over light so should have been easy!

TIP - I do NOT recommend Rain and Shine (not to be confused with Davies Sun and Rain which is fine), poor coverage and messy.  

Coverage - I always give 3 coats regardless of 2 looking acceptable as I don't want to risk getting everything cleaned and back in place to start noticing patchy areas in certain light conditions. I will say that even using Boyson and Davies on new walls I've needed up to 5 coats on a couple of areas done in white to get that sparkling white finish so be prepared!  Goes without saying but I'll say it anyway - the right quality and type of brushes makes a big difference to the time and effort needed.  I tend to buy cheapo ones (contrary to common sense) as I use them one time only as I can't be bothered with cleaning them.  I also like to use a small 4" roller rather than a larger one as I find it much less messy with spray.

I haven't found humidity a big issue here when painting unlike Hong Kong where bubbling was a big issue.

Thanks for your advices about the different paint brands, it's helpful. It will be Boysen or Davies.

I don't think it will be necessary with a primer on the walls since they are already painted. A good cleaning and maybe use a bit of sandpapper, then it will be fine. But in the ceiling it may be a good idea with a primer.

The right tools make every work much easier 👍

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/25/2022 at 6:27 AM, Mike J said:

Go to the hardware store, or lazada, and buy TSP, Trisodium Phosphate.

I used tons of that when I was a teenager.  My parents acquired a huge old mansion when I was about 8.  My family spent the next 15-20 years renovating it.  My dad made us wash all the old surfaces walls with TSP.  I don't recall seeing it here in PH. but I have not really looked.

Nostalgia kicking in.  This is the place.  First thing that popped up on Google.  My sister, BIL and 5 kids lived in a wing of that big house for around 15 years.  The orange carpet mentioned was put in by them in the 70's!  The rest of it was a ballroom / dining hall, huge commercial kitchen, billiard room, and library / office. My parents are the (half) owners who sold it to the tenants, for pennies on the dollar.  My uncle was the other half owner.  The exterior is still kept up but I guess the interior has gone to heck.  I spent years working in there and we did some amazing restorations.  What I remember vividly is stripping many layers of paint off of several fireplaces, revealing gorgeous wood underneath, which we carefully refinished.

https://www.lamag.com/mag-features/gage-mansion-bell-gardens/

Wow, 50+ years ago!

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1
  • Love it 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

How about exterior walls that are subject to the elements, what paint do you painters recommend?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

How about exterior walls that are subject to the elements, what paint do you painters recommend?

Boysen or Davies exterior paint should be fine.  I usually use Boysen and it has held up well.

Possum
Posted
Posted

Exterior I use Campbridge primer and paint for waterproofing, good stuff. Different types for walls, roofs etc. Not much of a color selection but it's easy to buy white and add dye.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

I've used Boysen standard paint (for concrete but not specifically exterior use) for my outside walls and it's held up very well.  That said, It's probably wiser to use the dedicated exterior paint.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Anybody tried this?  I bought this gallon at Wilcon after checking many other places.  Primarily I bought it to paint the ceiling and three upper walls of our shower.  It gets molds and mildew there very quickly, and this is supposed to combat that.

They say it is for concrete but I am going to try it on wood too.  The 3 walls mentioned are concrete but the ceiling and trim are wood and/or Hardiflex.  If it seems ok on the wood I might paint my front door with it.  The front door also gets mildew.  The oderless aspect is good for in the house.

316141548_6012220902144105_6724289321059214876_n.jpg

As Hardiflex is a cement fibre board it will be totally fine.  I'm sure it'll also be fine on the wood but I tend to use the gloss or semi-gloss on wood surfaces.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

As Hardiflex is a cement fibre board it will be totally fine.  I'm sure it'll also be fine on the wood but I tend to use the gloss or semi-gloss on wood surfaces.  

I'm hoping that it will deter mildew on all the surfaces.  The CR has an exhaust fan and an external window left open all the time, so it stays moist.  Every 3-6 months, I have to clean all the upper 1/4 walls (lower 3/4 are tiles all around) and ceiling with vinegar.  I think I will find some TSP and clean with that before this next painting.

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

The CR has an exhaust fan and an external window left open all the time, so it stays moist.

Curious, if the CR has an exhaust fan why does window stay open? The fan would pull in humid outside air thru the window.

• Like 2