Bad smell of clothing!

Viking
Posted
Posted

Since we got here I noticed that our clothes doesn't smell very good after being in the wardrobe or chest drawer. I know ventilation is important but those places are pretty hard to ventilate in a good way.

We do use our aircon in the room where we keep our clothes, but it is not on 24/7.

Is there any easy tricks I am unaware of?

How do you keep your clothing smell fresh?

Gas
Posted
Posted

We have dehumidifiers in the bedrooms and my wife opens the cabinet doors whilst they are on. 
Seems to do the trick as we live in a area with a lot of rain throughout the year and I always smell fresh! 

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Gas said:

We have dehumidifiers in the bedrooms and my wife opens the cabinet doors whilst they are on. 
Seems to do the trick as we live in a area with a lot of rain throughout the year and I always smell fresh! 

Thanks for that information!

I will take a look at that 👍

How are they used? Couple of hours per day or more? 24/7?

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)

We just use for a couple of hours per day. Usually before the aircon goes on at night. 

Edited by Gas
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

We dont seem to have the problem of clothes smell. Do you use fabric conditioner is the wash? 

Viking
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

We dont seem to have the problem of clothes smell. Do you use fabric conditioner is the wash? 

Yes, so far we have been using a laundry service and they use conditioner. Can that be part of the problem?

16 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Not sure where you are, but the further south you go in PI the higher the relative humidity which is the root of the problem.  @Gas's suggestion of a dehumidifier is a good one.  Also, before the clothes are put away, ensure they're completely dry otherwise you'll have the "musty" smell I'm pretty sure is the one you're experiencing. 

We are in the Manila area.

I think our laundry have been dry when we put it away but I can't be really sure. I will check it tomorrow when I get it back from the service.

No matter what, I will also get a dehumidifier, because it can't be wrong in this climate.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Viking said:

I think our laundry have been dry when we put it away but I can't be really sure. I will check it tomorrow when I get it back from the service.

:89: now that could be a twist in the storey, Are they ( the service) as good as your wife may be? They are in it for the money, Your wife will be concerned about satisfaction and is the job done right, After some 15 years here and 10+ years in this house we have never had a problem, seems to me, you should either change your service or look for alternatives JMHO

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Viking said:

Yes, so far we have been using a laundry service and they use conditioner. Can that be part of the problem?

They probably dont and just spray the laundry with fabric cologne after washing. Hard to know. 

• Like 5

Viking
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: now that could be a twist in the storey, Are they ( the service) as good as your wife may be? They are in it for the money, Your wife will be concerned about satisfaction and is the job done right, After some 15 years here and 10+ years in this house we have never had a problem, seems to me, you should either change your service or look for alternatives JMHO

Well, to be honest, my wife sucks at doing laundry 🤣, so they are probably better than her.

She has been living in Sweden too long and have been getting used to me taking care of that. However, the laundry service we have been using here have big modern machines, both washer and dryer. The laundry have always been clean and good smelling when we received it so I actually think it is something else causing this problem.

I am leaning towards the humidity in our storage But thanks for your suggestion. I will keep it in my mind.

12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

They probably dont and just spray the laundry with fabric cologne after washing. Hard to know. 

The only thing I know is that it smells good when we received it. If it's from conditioner or cologne, I can't say.

Are you saying that real conditioner is a good thing for for keeping your clothing fresh, or is it bad? I am a bit confused about this, because I have seen both opinions of it.