People cutting in line

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 12/22/2022 at 7:43 PM, Tommy T. said:

Yeah... L and I had a similar situation at an S & R here in Davao. There were two lines for ordering and paying for pizzas and some other items. So we were waiting patiently in the one line that was working. The second line clearly was signed for elderly, pregnant women,, disabled and was unattended. So this young woman walked up to the vacant line and was helped immediately by the worker from our line....what???

So she placed her order as we and the rest of the queue waited our turn. When we finally got up to the front of our line after a few minutes, L let the server have it with both barrels. She was polite but adamant and asked why this other woman received preferential treatment while us (I, being obviously well past the 50 year old "elderly" class) waited. The woman who had gone up for her order looked very sheepish and embarrassed and the server was also somewhat embarrassed... We got our order finally, but L shot bullets with her eyes and I supported with a few eye mortar shells... Some of the, especially younger, people just don't get it.... I don't hang my age out there to take advantage, but I would certainly appreciate a bit of respect. L is adamant about this and much more demonstrative than I. Of course, she is Filipina and I am foreigner... but I would never, ever want to be on her bad side!!!

Off the bat I'll say this is perfectly normal here - I experienced it just an hour ago at a grocery store with a 40-something guy who thought it was OK to jump the line right to the front when a new register opened.  It is absolutely not exclusive to the younger generations here and in fact, I'd say the elderly have a much, much greater sense of entitlement from my experience. You may not use your age to advantage here but plenty do.

Also, from my experience here it's standard for the priority lane to be open to all IF there are no priority customers waiting - it makes perfect sense. Sure, it has to be managed to ensure those with priority get it but simply taking the next in line from the 'normal' line works.

What grinds my gears most is the fact some stores still give front-liners priority. Why in heavens name should a 20 year- old nurse out shopping with her friends get any priority in any store? If they are on duty maybe, just maybe I could concede it but otherwise nope.

Anyhow, merry Xmas to all!:smile:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've mentioned it before but my worst cut in was at the Domestic Terminal in Manila.  I had just walked out the terminal to the taxi rank and there was no queue, just me and my partner.  The attendant started taking my name and the address of the hotel I was going to as is custom on the taxi line to ensure no dodgy taxis.

He had just finished writting my name when this Filipino appeared out of no where and demanded the first taxi. I looked around and there was just me, my partner and him there plus about 3 taxis. The attendant looked at me slightly embarrased and said this man says he is a senior. I jokingly said " So am I, but as it looks like he doesn't have as long to live as me so he can have the taxi." I could tell the local was pissed but my partner and me just laughed. He wasted more time trying to push in than if he had just waited until the attendant had took my details.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I've mentioned it before but my worst cut in was at the Domestic Terminal in Manila.  I had just walked out the terminal to the taxi rank and there was no queue, just me and my partner.  The attendant started taking my name and the address of the hotel I was going to as is custom on the taxi line to ensure no dodgy taxis.

He had just finished writting my name when this Filipino appeared out of no where and demanded the first taxi. I looked around and there was just me, my partner and him there plus about 3 taxis. The attendant looked at me slightly embarrased and said this man says he is a senior. I jokingly said " So am I, but as it looks like he doesn't have as long to live as me so he can have the taxi." I could tell the local was pissed but my partner and me just laughed. He wasted more time trying to push in than if he had just waited until the attendant had took my details.

Yep, no surprise at all that it  was a senior. To me, if a senior is able to go shopping, walk around a mall, go travelling then they're capable of standing in a line/queue. 

Now, don't get me wrong  - I'm not against the nice initiative in principal but when seniors view this as a right, not a privilege, I start to raise my eyebrows. 

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

I'd say when line cutting becomes an issue... The Philippines is that much closer to being a 1st World country :7500:

• Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 12/26/2022 at 9:56 AM, hk blues said:

Yep, no surprise at all that it  was a senior. To me, if a senior is able to go shopping, walk around a mall, go travelling then they're capable of standing in a line/queue. 

Now, don't get me wrong  - I'm not against the nice initiative in principal but when seniors view this as a right, not a privilege, I start to raise my eyebrows. 

I can't stand up for more than 10 minuets but I can walk more than 3 kilometers. I'm 68 years young and use the seniors line.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

It must be an area thing. In the time I have lived here, 6 years plus and the times I have visited not once from memory has any one jumped the queue.  Also I have been asked to go to the front several times as they thought I was a senior but I refused as l do not need to.

The only time that I went to the front was at the start of the pandemic,loaded a huge amount of alcohol as it was banned in my city but not next door.  So the supermarket guy took me to the front of like a line as long as the store and I went before anyone else but l think it was the quantity of what l was buying at the time. Yes I felt guilty but saved hours of line waiting at a crazy time. 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The only time that I went to the front was at the start of the pandemic,loaded a huge amount of alcohol as it was banned in my city but not next door.  So the supermarket guy took me to the front of like a line as long as the store and I went before anyone else but l think it was the quantity of what l was buying at the time. Yes I felt guilty but saved hours of line waiting at a crazy time. 

Good enough to justify going to the seniors line (alcohol) :7500: