Table manners

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, gbmmbg said:

That's easy for you to say. My last 3 years in the navy was on Admiral's staff. The 3 star I worked for loved to drag me to all the black tie diners knowing how much I hated it. Normally its easy, start from the outside and use your way in each serving...... until you get invited to a diner at the french embassy. I had no idea what half of the cutlery was used for. lol I shit you not it looked just like this.... 

01.jpg

I doubt we have that much cutlery in our place for all of us, never mind for one person!  

• Haha 4

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I doubt we have that much cutlery in our place for all of us, never mind for one person!  

Ya, it was fun and the food was amazing. The only problem was the servings of each thing was sooooo small.  I felt so sorry for the staff who had to do the dishes after the dinner. It was an 8 course meal but one plate and a bowl would have been ok.

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Greglm said:

There are Kamayan places near me, pretty good food too. But meals come with spoons, forks etc. All food is brought out on banana leaves but you spoon it onto your plate.

Like I said before, I actually don't have a problem if people eat with their hands as long as it is done in a good way. But, I definitely prefer when they spoon i onto their own plates before digging in with their hands. 

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, gbmmbg said:

That's easy for you to say. My last 3 years in the navy was on Admiral's staff. The 3 star I worked for loved to drag me to all the black tie dinners knowing how much I hated it. Normally its easy, start from the outside and use your way in each serving...... until you get invited to a dinner at the french embassy. I had no idea what half of the cutlery was used for. lol I shit you not it looked just like this.... 

01.jpg

Well, that is too much table manners, even for me 😉

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, gbmmbg said:

Ya, it was fun and the food was amazing. The only problem was the servings of each thing was sooooo small.  I felt so sorry for the staff who had to do the dishes after the dinner. It was an 8 course meal but one plate and a bowl would have been ok.

I was at a fancy dinner once, and like you said, each serving was so small and it took 3 hours until all was done. When we left I was hungry, so I bought a pizza on our way home 😂

• Haha 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Anyway, the point is each country has their own dining etiquette.

Exactly, that is why I asked if the things I experienced was normal behavior?😉👍

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Viking said:

When we left I was hungry, so I bought a pizza on our way home 😂

Hope you used a knife and fork to eat it :popcorn:

• Haha 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Viking said:

Exactly, that is why I asked if the things I experienced was normal behavior?😉👍

Normal behavior within the context of the nuclear family, extended family or community.  I may find certain practices in different countries odd, but overtime, decide to accept them as normal.  I have had dinners in homes where the rule was absolute silence during the meal while members of the family took turns reading from Scriptures.  

• Hmm thinking 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, gbmmbg said:

That's easy for you to say. My last 3 years in the navy was on Admiral's staff. The 3 star I worked for loved to drag me to all the black tie dinners knowing how much I hated it. Normally its easy, start from the outside and use your way in each serving...... until you get invited to a dinner at the french embassy. I had no idea what half of the cutlery was used for. lol I shit you not it looked just like this.... 

01.jpg

Wonder what would be the reaction if pushed all those utensils aside and pulled out your trusty Swiss Army knife? :hystery:

Jaswehome multifunctional swiss knife stainless steel swiss pocket knife  knife tool fork spoon knife knife multitool|Dinner Knives| - AliExpress

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Hope you used a knife and fork to eat it :popcorn:

Take a guess 😉

• Haha 1