Latest VPN Reviews 2023

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I'm not a fan of my IP address being known to the world

Is that because it's a static IP, in which case a dynamic IP would be another solution?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Privacy and security. I'm not a fan of my IP address being known to the world, but each to their own. I may be overcautious, but after a career in military intelligence and specifically data exploitation of data communications from radios, cell networks, satellites and the internet, amongst others, I'm pretty happy with my low-grade paranoia :thumbsup:

Please don't tell my wife what I've been looking at, Brett! 

• Haha 5

Peaceful John
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Why the need for a constant VPN in the Philippines? In my experience banks and other accounts don't have a problem with a foreign IP. Opening a new account may require it but that rarely happens anyway.

King, I have to use it for my credit card accounts, credit organizations, and a few others that block overseas connections.  But my main use is to watch sports and movies/tv shows from the US that are blocked here.  When I want to check my credit score or identity theft prevention, those type sites also require me using it.  Being able to watch the entire football/baseball season, Prime Video, Hulu, Philo, Netflix (US), etc., all required it.  And last but definitely not least, preventing hackers and scammers from affecting me is a big deal for me.  It's not 100%, but I've had troubles in the past and I will do what I can to prevent it.  Those are my reasons, and I wouldn't do without it.  FYI.... I used Express VPN for many years and just recently switched to Nord VPN.  So far I'm happy with Nord, but I think they both provide the same level of protection.  Nord seems to have much better customer service though.  Have a great year my friend. :cheersty:

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Is that because it's a static IP, in which case a dynamic IP would be another solution?

Either way you're still revealing your real IP which leaves you vulnerable.  

15 minutes ago, Peaceful John said:

King, I have to use it for my credit card accounts, credit organizations, and a few others that block overseas connections.  But my main use is to watch sports and movies/tv shows from the US that are blocked here.  When I want to check my credit score or identity theft prevention, those type sites also require me using it.  Being able to watch the entire football/baseball season, Prime Video, Hulu, Philo, Netflix (US), etc., all required it.  And last but definitely not least, preventing hackers and scammers from affecting me is a big deal for me.  It's not 100%, but I've had troubles in the past and I will do what I can to prevent it.  Those are my reasons, and I wouldn't do without it.  FYI.... I used Express VPN for many years and just recently switched to Nord VPN.  So far I'm happy with Nord, but I think they both provide the same level of protection.  Nord seems to have much better customer service though.  Have a great year my friend. :cheersty:

Yep, all great reasons. 

• Like 2

longway
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Peaceful John said:

FYI.... I used Express VPN for many years and just recently switched to Nord VPN.  So far I'm happy with Nord, but I think they both provide the same level of protection.  Nord seems to have much better customer service though.  Have a great year my friend. :cheersty:

I have been using Surfshark for over one year and it works well. They have frequent updates, I guess to keep up with the hackers. I use it full time, although there have been a couple of website transactions/ queries that won't go thru unless I pause the VPN. Otherwise I have been very happy with it. I would never do banking, investment, or credit card business without the VPN.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, longway said:

I have been using Surfshark for over one year and it works well. They have frequent updates, I guess to keep up with the hackers. I use it full time, although there have been a couple of website transactions/ queries that won't go thru unless I pause the VPN. Otherwise I have been very happy with it. I would never do banking, investment, or credit card business without the VPN.

Don't disagree but with 2FA on most bank transactions these days doesn't that mean VPN is not really necessary these days, or at least nobody can empty your account?

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, hk blues said:

Don't disagree but with 2FA on most bank transactions these days doesn't that mean VPN is not really necessary these days, or at least nobody can empty your account?

I use a VPN for my banking apps (and money send apps) because I was getting occaisional 'stops' on transfers without one... "we've put a hold on this transaction, please call us during business hours to verify the transaction". That doesn't happen when I use a VPN (presumably because the monitoring software sees me as being in Australia so doesn't flag it).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/12/2023 at 3:52 PM, Peaceful John said:

preventing hackers and scammers

Do you know anyone who was hacked or scammed because they didn't hide their IP? I get your other reasons but they don't apply to me, or if they did it's nothing a free VPN for a few minutes couldn't fix.

Edited by Kingpin

hk blues
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I use a VPN for my banking apps (and money send apps) because I was getting occaisional 'stops' on transfers without one... "we've put a hold on this transaction, please call us during business hours to verify the transaction".

That doesn't happen when I use a VPN (presumable because the monitoring software sees me as being in Australia so doesn't flag it).

I'm not sure if this is such an issue with UK banks etc - I don't recall any of the Brit members having issues such as that but certainly the American and Aussie guys seem to.  That said, my 3 UK banks are totally onboard with account holders being overseas, maybe other members' banks in the UK are different.

A