'Not my King': Protestors Heckle King Charles at Commonwealth Service

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, hk blues said:

We should think ourselves lucky - his younger brother would have been a much worse option!

For sure!

Princess Anne is the pick of the pack in my book.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

King Charles has had 74 years to develop his bad habits.  His father was famous for having a short fuse so I suppose King Charles has inherited that trait. 

To my mind ( and I am a total monarchist) he is doing what "Lizzy" should and could have done a long time ago, Sorting the Spongers out :tiphat:

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

To my mind ( and I am a total monarchist) he is doing what "Lizzy" should and could have done a long time ago, Sorting the Spongers out :tiphat:

I suppose it was difficult for her to cut off her children/grandchildren but less so for Charles.   I agree it's the right thing to do.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Major Tom
Posted
Posted

As citizen of the US, I already live in a Republic--it's not an ideal system! I would prefer to live in a Democracy, where the people's vote would count, instead of the votes of a random group of representatives who are sent to an electoral college. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

What about tourism?  You need the British monarchy to attract visitors.

What about the tabloids?  You need gossip as cannon fodder.

What about the military?  You need the royals as commanders.

What about the Commonwealth?  You need a king to host those absolutely useless gatherings. 

• Haha 3

Major Tom
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

What about tourism?  You need the British monarchy to attract visitors.

Yeah, you’re right! My wife would rather be a tourist in Britain and see Buckingham Palace  and all of the other attractions than going back home to the Philippines for a visit.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Major Tom said:

As citizen of the US, I already live in a Republic--it's not an ideal system! I would prefer to live in a Democracy, where the people's vote would count, instead of the votes of a random group of representatives who are sent to an electoral college. 

The United States is a federal system.  It's the politicians who keep shouting, "Democracy."  One of a few remaining democracies includes Switzerland.  Citizens still gather in town squares to vote on certain legislature.  The exception are women who in some of the cantons are not permitted to vote.  

Freebie
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, hk blues said:

We should think ourselves lucky - his younger brother would have been a much worse option!

I will say in King Charles's defence the Queen was always going to be a hard act to follow.  Also, she had the advantage (it probably didn't seem so at the time) of coming to power at a young age, perhaps before she had developed her own character and personality fully so didn't have any bad habits to unlearn - King Charles has had 74 years to develop his bad habits.  His father was famous for having a short fuse so I suppose King Charles has inherited that trait. 

Very good summary. Totally agree with everything that you said. Only part missing is that William and Kate seem and hopefully will be  significantly more suited to the role. Between them they seem to have barely put a foot wrong in what they say and do.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Social media and good old confidential leaks will be the demise of the monarchy. I served over 24yr in the Armed Forces and never had a Royalist bone in my body. From my perspective all I've seen is them protecting their lifestyles and spending millions each year on PR companies to sell the dream to the plebs.

I've sat back as the Forces have been decimated, friends received redundancy letters whilst on operational tours, military hospitals closed, ex forces sleeping on the streets, maried quarters sold of to private businesses and almost all mental health care carried out by charities now.  I've also bumped into a few of the Royal family and not that impressed.  If they had stepped up to the plate and stuck up for the same people that put their lives on the line for them I may have a different perspective but when you see they are hiding their funds in offshore accounts and trying to claim every penny off the tax payer I think it's time they were resigned to history.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1