Ceiling insulation

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Greglm said:

Look up "radiant barrier" for an explanation.

Thanks - I get it now.

I wonder how it is fixed - for example my roof rafters are steel, not wood, so stapling or nailing won't work.  Maybe rivets, or even glue?  

Possum
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I wonder how it is fixed - for example my roof rafters are steel, not wood, so stapling or nailing won't work.  Maybe rivets, or even glue? 

I used glue but you can also just lay it on top of the ceiling.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Greglm said:

I've probably misunderstood where it is fixed - I assumed it would be fitted to the underside of the roof rather then on the attic/loft floor for maximum efficiency.

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I assumed it would be fitted to the underside of the roof rather then on the attic/loft floor for maximum efficiency.

Hope this helps

https://www.radiantguard.com/pages/how-to-install-radiant-barrier#Attics

Viking
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Thanks - I get it now.

The company I bought it from said it was more effective just putting it on top of the ceiling, but I am not really sure that is true. I have read otherwise online. However, it is far easier and we all know that they love easy solutions here 😉. In this case I will do it the Pinoy way, lol.

It's also possible to do both but that may be too much, or a combination of the two. On top of the ceiling at the outer edges of the attic and under the roof in parts where there is more space to work.

3 hours ago, Greglm said:

That's what I will do, lay it on top of the ceiling.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I've probably misunderstood where it is fixed - I assumed it would be fitted to the underside of the roof rather then on the attic/loft floor for maximum efficiency.

Both methods can be used. Separate or as a combination.

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 3/28/2023 at 6:20 AM, Mike J said:

They have worked really well.  Installed about 8 months ago and no problems or issues so far.  The fans start working early in the day and continue until about 5:00 - 5:30.  When I checked with Lazada to get this screen shot I saw that they also had solar powered whirlybirds.   I think the whirly would be the best for a flat roof.  We also had the radiant foil type insulation installed with the new roof.  Not sure if that is a practical solution if you only have six inch gap from roof to ceiling.  They would need to remove all the ceiling or the roofing to install it. :sad:

Screenshot_20230328_055632_com.lazada.android.jpg

Screenshot_20230328_060631_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Do you have both models?

Gable fan for intake and roof fan for exhaust of the hot air?

I am a bit nervous to make a big hole in the roof to install a roof fan since we will not be here during the rainy season. When we get back we might have a swimming pool instead 😂

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Viking said:

Do you have both models?

Gable fan for intake and roof fan for exhaust of the hot air?

I am a bit nervous to make a big hole in the roof to install a roof fan since we will not be here during the rainy season. When we get back we might have a swimming pool instead 😂

I have two gable fans, one on each end of the house.  I would think it would take too long to install on a flat roof.  Found this video on Youtube that showes a guy installing one.  The roof is pitched tile, so different than your but shows the basics. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Viking said:

The company I bought it from said it was more effective just putting it on top of the ceiling, but I am not really sure that is true. I have read otherwise online. However, it is far easier and we all know that they love easy solutions here 😉. In this case I will do it the Pinoy way, lol.

It's also possible to do both but that may be too much, or a combination of the two. On top of the ceiling at the outer edges of the attic and under the roof in parts where there is more space to work.

That's what I will do, lay it on top of the ceiling.

Both methods can be used. Separate or as a combination.

As per the guide you kindly included, the preferred method is on the peak which is what I expected as it would prevent as much heat as possible entering the attic space. Sure, on the ceiling will work and is obviously much easier depending on the rafter material.

It's certainly given me food for thought as I was put off by what I thought would be a PITA installation - thank you!

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

As per the guide you kindly included, the preferred method is on the peak which is what I expected as it would prevent as much heat as possible entering the attic space. Sure, on the ceiling will work and is obviously much easier depending on the rafter material.

It's certainly given me food for thought as I was put off by what I thought would be a PITA installation - thank you!

I agree that mounting it under the roof is probably the most effective way to minimise the heat transfer.

In my case it would be quite complicated to cover the entire roof this way and therefore I will go for the ceiling method instead. Hopefully I will know next week if it's working or not.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Viking said:

I agree that mounting it under the roof is probably the most effective way to minimise the heat transfer.

In my case it would be quite complicated to cover the entire roof this way and therefore I will go for the ceiling method instead. Hopefully I will know next week if it's working or not.

I assume it works both ways i.e. prevents heat from entering the roof space and also keeps the cool air below where it belongs?