Ceiling insulation

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm a bit late here, but has anyone seen a weatherproof method to attach a whirly/flat vent to a metal Spanish style roof such as the attached pic depicts.

Tilespan.jpg

Edited by Lee
attachment wouldn't open

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Lee said:

I'm a bit late here, but has anyone seen a weatherproof method to attach a whirly/flat vent to a metal Spanish style roof such as the attached pic depicts.

Tilespan.jpg

Interestingly, in my community the newer models of house have this style of roof, the older concrete tiles.  The older style have vents, the newer don't.  I suspect this is due to the challenge of making a waterproof seal around the cut.  Personally, I don't see why it's such an issue but there you go.

Lee
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Interestingly, in my community the newer models of house have this style of roof, the older concrete tiles.  The older style have vents, the newer don't.  I suspect this is due to the challenge of making a waterproof seal around the cut.  Personally, I don't see why it's such an issue but there you go.

I don't believe that I have ever seen a metal roof on a house that was vented. I have probably missed some---but I do try to look for them.

The water proof seal around the cutout for the vent has been the deal breaker for me. How about ridge vents? I have never seen one of these on a local home either.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Lee said:

I don't believe that I have ever seen a metal roof on a house that was vented. I have probably missed some---but I do try to look for them.

The water proof seal around the cutout for the vent has been the deal breaker for me. How about ridge vents? I have never seen one of these on a local home either.

I've never seen any in the Philippines but spinning vents on metal roofs are very common in Australia, they use a section of metal shaped to match the roof curves (or flats and lips depending upon roof type) with a hole in the middle for the vent spinner.  The central section below the hole is cut out and then the whole square is rivited (or tec screwed) to the surrounding roof.  After that outdoor silastic waterproofing compound is used to weather seal the joints.

roof-ventilation-1280x720.jpg

spinner.jpg

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1