Things You Could Not Say

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

That is probably true, but has nothing to do with the topic of the Stossel video.

And there is the problem.  This is a forum.  We write words in the forum.  You seem to expect people to spend 5 minutes watching the video when you did not spend 5 minutes writing a synopsis of what the video is about.  So really, is there a topic at all?  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And there is the problem.  This is a forum.  We write words in the forum.  You seem to expect people to spend 5 minutes watching the video when you did not spend 5 minutes writing a synopsis of what the video is about.  So really, is there a topic at all?  

Speak for yourself Dave.  You do not represent the other members and you do not define what a forum is.  The written word is only part of a modern forum.

If someone wants to comment on the topic, I would assume they would watch at least part of the video so they could rationally comment,  The cover picture of the video is very telling of what the content is, so I see no need for a synopsis.  If members are not interested in the topic, watching the video, or commenting, that is fine too.  They can just skip it.  We all skip over topics that don't interest us, and most of the time, we do so without criticizing the topic or the method used to communicate in the topic.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

That is probably true, but has nothing to do with the topic of the Stossel video.

I disagree.  The media has already formulated their position before the information has even been vetted.  Accuracy is irrelevant because the belief is getting the story out as quickly as possible in more important to generate revenues.  There are multiple versions of the same story, which cater to different peoples who use it to validate their own opinion.  The true story may come out later, but by then, few people care.  The media is already pushing something else.

Take the case of face masks for Covid-19.  I never believe it was effective and only wore one when it was mandated.  Yet instead of gloating that I was right, I came to the realization that the government needed a gimmick to show they were doing something.  Just make everyone wear a mask and stop people who claim they were not needed.  Conclusion:  I am contributing to the fight against spreading Covid-19.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

The true story may come out later, but by then, few people care.  The media is already pushing something else.

OK, but that is what the Stossel video is about.  I think there are a lot of people who do care about freedom of speech and efforts to suppress it.

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Those you can't criticize rule you. 

What takes place today in the US media is deeply troubling to say the least. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Freedom of speech or the ability to express one more opinion is still there.  The problem is, how many are listening?  As they say, "History is written by the victors."  Truth is a lesser value than the ability to convince others that you are right, even if you are wrong.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The only thing I can really say about today's media is, "That's entertainment."  Time to switch to a cartoon channel.  

• Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I disagree.  The media has already formulated their position before the information has even been vetted.  Accuracy is irrelevant because the belief is getting the story out as quickly as possible in more important to generate revenues.  There are multiple versions of the same story, which cater to different peoples who use it to validate their own opinion.  The true story may come out later, but by then, few people care.  The media is already pushing something else.

Take the case of face masks for Covid-19.  I never believe it was effective and only wore one when it was mandated.  Yet instead of gloating that I was right, I came to the realization that the government needed a gimmick to show they were doing something.  Just make everyone wear a mask and stop people who claim they were not needed.  Conclusion:  I am contributing to the fight against spreading Covid-19.  

Your example of the face masks is another twist on facts by the media. I've saw a few national broadcasts highlighting that they never worked and the much respected Cochrane report agreed, which was jumped on by the conspiracy theorists. The only issue was that wasn't what the Cochrane report said, mainstream media had taken a paragraph from the report and spread that as if it was the only fact in the report. In reality the Cochrane report highlighted that the majority of studies were pretty useless as no one abided by the proper use and disposal of masks. Real controlled studies show they do work but only as part of a package, social distancing, vaccination and hand washing being the other parts. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2023/03/10/how-the-cochrane-review-went-wrong-report-questioning-covid-masks-blows-up-prompts-apology.html

The Cochrane Review has apologized for an evidence review that led many to conclude, inaccurately, that masks don’t work.

The idea that masks don’t help slow COVID is an “inaccurate and misleading interpretation” of the report they published in January, Karla Soares-Weiser, editor-in-chief of the Cochrane Library, wrote in an update posted to the their website on Friday. The international organization publishes summaries of evidence on various health topics, and are now blaming a poorly-worded summary of one report for the fact that many people came away with the idea that the face coverings don’t help.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Your example of the face masks is another twist on facts by the media. I've saw a few national broadcasts highlighting that they never worked and the much respected Cochrane report agreed, which was jumped on by the conspiracy theorists.

The main point of the video was pointing out where legitimate people, not conspiracy theorists, were censored, when their opinions should be able to be heard and evaluated by the public.  In the mask examples, first Senator Rand Paul, a doctor, was censored by Facebook for saying that masks, especially cloth masks, don't work very well.  In the second mask example, another medical journalist said that mask can have negative effects on kids, and he was censored.  The third mask topic was more about the studies you mentioned, and there could discussion about that.  Personally it seems logical that quality masks could help stop the spread of a germ, especially indoors.  However, wearing masks, and face shields, outdoors was fairly worthless, IMHO.  And, the big issue for most people was mask mandates.

The other "conspiracy theories" covered in the video have been, for the most part, proven to be true.  If you have been following the Twitter Files, you see how manipulated the people were by social media and the government.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Forum guidelines for post in the covid section;

<snip>

This forum is to discuss the Coronavirus only. All Coronavirus topics to be placed here including lockdown, passes, visa issues and anything which is related to the current Coronavirus situation except this is not a debate forum for; for or against vaccines or any other similar type of discussions such as where the virus came from or conspiracy theories. The point of this forum is to give advice where needed and to keep up with changes to the situation and more so in the Philippines rather than worldwide.

<end snip>

• Like 1