Hamburger recipes

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Haven't tried the 'extras on the bottom trick' but will give it a go, thanks for the tip :)

I actually haven't tried that either yet. I learned it on a cooking show on TV and since then noticed that this seems to be the way that many or most of the restaurants featured on TV do this. I think even Ozzie Master Chef showed this?

This quoted from @Joey G:

The trick at both was... caramelized onions... take some onions, coat with a little sugar, and medium heat till lightly brown.

I simply saute thinly sliced onions in butter until they are soft. I think they self-caramelize  this way? That's not to say that Joey's version isn't as good, if not even better!

The problem I have when making burgers is they end up being about 4-6 inches high! They are always a mess to eat, but no one complains! A dining bib is recommended!

Another issue I have is finding large burger buns. When I go to the grocery store I can buy a package of 6 or 8 buns but they are more the size used for White Castle sliders.... So maybe I should make those instead? The "brioche" buns available at some bakeries seem to work the best for size and texture. I have read that using a baguette sliced lengthwise will make for a great burger just adjusted for shape...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

The problem I have when making burgers is they end up being about 4-6 inches high! They are always a mess to eat, but no one complains! A dining bib is recommended!

In Australia it's common for restaurants to serve burgers with a wooden (or bamboo) skewer through the middle to hold them together and you eat them with a knife and fork (normally served with side salad or fries).

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

In Australia it's common for restaurants to serve burgers with a wooden (or bamboo) skewer through the middle to hold them together and you eat them with a knife and fork (normally served with side salad or fries).

Geoff.... I sincerely mean no disrespect. But are you also suggesting that people eat pizza with knife and fork?

Yeah.... I can see the knife and fork to eat one of those mountain burgers you see in some restaurants... But then, I cannot afford to go to one of those anyway! I guess I just like to have a pitcher of beer, many paper towels or napkins or serviettes as they may be referred to and then just pick it up and let it drool all over me. (I used to have a beard, but resumed shaving again a few years ago and that makes a big difference!)

When many years younger, some of us would bbq big T-bone steaks and then just pick them up and eat them using fingers. What a mess... We all had beards, but who cared? But then we were also a mess (too much beer and, ahem, other things....!):cheers:

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

(I used to have a beard, but resumed shaving again a few years ago and that makes a big difference!)

When I was bearded I used it to keep leftovers 😂 or that's what I'd tell people.

• Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

When I was bearded I used it to keep leftovers 😂 or that's what I'd tell people.

We used to say folk with beards would be keeping the fallout for Ron - later Ron! 

• Haha 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

As I get older and the arthritis gets worse, I have trouble handling a knife and fork so I have no choice but to use my hands to eat but in the real world no one gives a damn.

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I simply saute thinly sliced onions in butter until they are soft. I think they self-caramelize  this way? That's not to say that Joey's version isn't as good, if not even better!

Another issue I have is finding large burger buns. When I go to the grocery store I can buy a package of 6 or 8 buns but they are more the size used for White Castle sliders.... So maybe I should make those instead?

The sugar "burns" a little and gives it that "caramelized" texture... and makes the onion a little sweeter.   Now for homemade White Castles... which is another Chicago staple... one the tricks to get that taste is to use dehydrated onions... soak them first in water... then layer the grill with them,,, smash that patty as thin as you can... and steam cook a few minutes with the bun on top soaking it all in.  Thin sliced pickle on top.... and a dab of mustard 

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

As I get older and the arthritis gets worse, I have trouble handling a knife and fork so I have no choice but to use my hands to eat but in the real world no one gives a damn.

Yeah l hate a sandwich eaten with a knife and fork so l do as they do here, fork and spoon :tongue:

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Why don't people consider smash burgers? gives a good crust and is tasty. As for ground beef, it's OK here as you add your own twist but if you have a bit more money and live in a city it's easy to get any beef you want. When l win the lotto l will buy my own meat grinder. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Why don't people consider smash burgers? gives a good crust and is tasty. As for ground beef, it's OK here as you add your own twist but if you have a bit more money and live in a city it's easy to get any beef you want. When l win the lotto l will buy my own meat grinder. 

We do Smash Burgers with onions sometimes. Those are great tasting burgers but takes a little more time to prepare and cook.

Edited by Old55