Unfair inflation on Filipinos

Possum
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

It's a hand to mouth existence.  Smoking and drinking help to alleviate the pain of suffering whether you are rich or poo

Don't know about the smoking but understand the drinking, even though one wakes up to reality the next day it's a temporary relief I suppose.

Joey G
Posted
Posted
On 4/23/2023 at 10:28 AM, JJReyes said:

Except for certain members of this forum, beer is not essential for life.  For the poor, the price of certain basic commodities like rice, sugar, cooking oil, etc. is more important.

I'd say a larger percentage of people over indulge in rice, sugar, and oil as much as, if not more, than alcohol.  Over time.... the it affects on their health and the associated costs of that are much higher cost than inflation alone.  However, what is "essential for life" depends on how you want to live your life... I have no problem with what other people decide is essential... not my call. Cheers :7500:

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Since I no longer drink and don't smoke, I am a bit bias.  Alcohol and cigarettes are not commodities.  When planning a personal or family budget, these are two items that are easy to eliminate.  

...if you neither smoke nor drink, sure.  

I have also eliminated the cost of fuel as I don't drive! :smile:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

...if you neither smoke nor drink, sure.  

I have also eliminated the cost of fuel as I don't drive! :smile:

Actually, HK, I respectfully disagree. You say you have eliminated the cost of fuel? You are paying for it every time you ride a tricycle, jeepney or taxi. You are paying for it with everything you buy - coffee, rice, fish, meat, veggies...etc. It costs money in fuel to move any and all of these things from their sources to your store or your door, unless you grow them at home? But, even then, you pay for fuel when you pay your water bill, electric bill, anything.... 

I guess now I am on my high horse.... but think about this.... it costs fuel to produce almost everything we use or consume like tools, utensils, cooking our food .... the exceptions might be agriculture for one, but then who pays for your corn or rice or fish to go from source to consumer? 

Maybe you or others can claim that they simply use firewood to cook their foods? Well, there is cost to firewood - either to buy it outright, cut it down with a chainsaw (no fuel used there!) or chop it with bolo.... Then there is that much less firewood for others to use. And maybe someone has to pay to grow that firewood source?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Actually, HK, I respectfully disagree. You say you have eliminated the cost of fuel? You are paying for it every time you ride a tricycle, jeepney or taxi. You are paying for it with everything you buy - coffee, rice, fish, meat, veggies...etc. It costs money in fuel to move any and all of these things from their sources to your store or your door, unless you grow them at home? But, even then, you pay for fuel when you pay your water bill, electric bill, anything....

This was my point earlier.  Everyone pays when some idiot makes worldwide energy prices go higher.

come-down-off-your-high-horse-david-zimmerman.jpg

You can come down now!  :hystery:

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I guess now I am on my high horse.... but think about this.... it costs fuel to produce almost everything we use or consume like tools, utensils, cooking our food .... the exceptions might be agriculture for one, but then who pays for your corn or rice or fish to go from source to consumer? 

Maybe you or others can claim that they simply use firewood to cook their foods? Well, there is cost to firewood - either to buy it outright, cut it down with a chainsaw (no fuel used there!) or chop it with bolo.... Then there is that much less firewood for others to use. And maybe someone has to pay to grow that firewood source?

You kinda missed the humour, Tommy - see the smiley face 

Regardless, I didn't say I have eliminated the cost of fuel - I said I have eliminated it from my budget which was the topic of the post I replied to.  The cost if fuel itself will be rolled into the grocery bill, for example, but so will the staff salaries at SM supermarket and I certainly don't budget for them.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Anyway whos up for a beer or drink?

You go for it!  I just Googled to find a quote to support my own personal opinion which is:

Light to moderate amounts of beer may help decrease the risk of diseases such as heart disease, neurodegenerative diseases, and type 2 diabetes

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I'm surprised your ass was not kicked from here to kingdom come in this topic. So it's OK for those who travel the world and fancy restaurants and eat the best steaks which are not essential for life but for a few who like a beer it's wrong. But on the other side in this topic, you say you used to drink beer too but had to give it up.

Well, the way I see it, I do what I like and you do too whether it's essential or not because I enjoy it and you do too.

Yes.  I enjoyed beer and wine until my third and hopefully last colon cancer operation.  The reason is it's part of a long-term study paid for by the US government.  By voluntarily giving up many things like a brand-new car every 3 to 5 years; jewelry and expensive wrist watches; brand name design clothes; a large home with high maintenance costs; drinking beer and wine; etc. allows us to divert more funds towards comfortable travel and eating in restaurants.  Matter of priorities.  If drinking beer is yours, so be it.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I'm surprised your ass was not kicked from here to kingdom come in this topic. So it's OK for those who travel the world and fancy restaurants and eat the best steaks which are not essential for life but for a few who like a beer it's wrong. But on the other side in this topic, you say you used to drink beer too but had to give it up.

Well, the way I see it, I do what I like and you do too whether it's essential or not because I enjoy it and you do too.

Anyway whos up for a beer or drink? :cheersty: :56da64a8e0a60_13_4_101:

Yes me but never get to Cebu these days.....