Unfair inflation on Filipinos

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Yes.  I enjoyed beer and wine until my third and hopefully last colon cancer operation.  The reason is it's part of a long-term study paid for by the US government.  By voluntarily giving up many things like a brand-new car every 3 to 5 years; jewelry and expensive wrist watches; brand name design clothes; a large home with high maintenance costs; drinking beer and wine; etc. allows us to divert more funds towards comfortable travel and eating in restaurants.  Matter of priorities.  If drinking beer is yours, so be it.

Nobody here said drinking beer was a priority but it is a pleasure that many of us indulge in. 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, hk blues said:

Nobody here said drinking beer was a priority but it is a pleasure that many of us indulge in. 

It refers to how you spend your money.  Drinking beer, wine and liquor is pleasurable, but the fact I no longer drink means more money is available for travel.  Everything is relative and done within an annual budget limit.  Everyone has different priorities.  We have friends who are passionate gourmets.  The wife, while surfing the Internet, found a 3 Star Guide Michelin restaurant in Milan, Italy that had a table available.  She reserved the table, then the couple flew to Milan.  I would never do that!  For them, it's a story of a lifetime which they will share with their children who were left behind.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2023 at 9:23 AM, GeoffH said:

I find myself wondering if Great Britain's inflation rate (higher than USA, Australia, Canada for example) is partly a result of the pressures caused by Brexit (on top of the issues the others economies are facing.

Brexit I think is all smoke and mirrors, depending what financial institute you read it's either a good thing or a bad thing, one thing that is obvious is there are still many civil servants working to ensure it isn't too succesfull, Britain has a global economy so the real big businesses can move their profits around at the push of a button. 

You only have to look at some of the inflation rates inside the EU to see there's more to it than just being inside the EU. UK inflation is sitting about 10.1% meanwhile many EU countries are sitting way higher, up to 25.6% in Hungary and a few others not far off that. 

I've edited to slightly bring it back onto the Philippines, there's plenty of money out there in the big bad World as the UK has found over £9bn down the back of the sofa to help the Philippines progress to a Greener Economy ( back handers to invest in technology that isn't up to the job yet.) :whistling:

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

You only have to look at some of the inflation rates inside the EU to see there's more to it than just being inside the EU. UK inflation is sitting about 10.1% meanwhile many EU countries are sitting way higher, up to 25.6% in Hungary and a few others not far off that. 

The UK has the highest inflation rate in Western Europe, and by some way, at 10.1%. I think those are the countries we should be comparing ourselves with.

How much, if any, is down to Brexit is anybodies guess but to suggest none is probably wrong. As is suggesting all.

IMO it's way, way too soon to even think about evaluating Brexit as much of the restrictions remain and the UK hasn't agreed all the new trade deals it wants to.  And let's be honest, Brexit was a political choice rather than an economic one and therefore there will never be a real consensus on its success.