Karaoke Curfew

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Is it that gated subdivisions do not allow karaoke

Or any other noise past 10pm, you can find silence in the Philippines, you just have to pay for it.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Our subdivision is pretty quiet after 9pm and almost always quiet after 10pm.  

However in an exception to that last week for a few days over the back wall of our subdivision phase (which is another, different and cheaper area with smaller lots) there was LOTS of various noise, loud music, bad kareoke, kids screaming at each other (past when they should be in bed) and an idiot revving the guts out of a loud motorbike for a couple of minutes at a time every hour or so.

This lasted for a few nights and then peace and quiet... I don't know what happened to them (I know our house was not the only one in our street unhappy) but whoever those noisy people were they're gone now :hystery:

If I had to guess I'd suspect one of the "middle class" families here talked to the Baranguay (or possibly to the owner of the house they were renting).

Either way... all good now :6:

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It always brings an inner smile to me when people support loud noise from the videoke as it's part of their culture as if it's been ongoing for thousands of years when in reality it started in the late 70's and probably took some time to catch on before it spread throughout the Philippines.  You'd think courtesy and respect for others which is usualy taught in the first few years of your life and into adulthood would have been a better culture to practice.   

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

70's and probably took some time to catch on before it spread throughout the Philippines. 

I have to disagree here, The Philippines have for many many years 00s even practiced Community Singing which really, was a precursor to karaoke :smile:

7 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

You'd think courtesy and respect for others which is usualy taught in the first few years of your life and into adulthood would have been a better culture to practice.   

As above they are practicing their culture BUT of course now they have technology to annoy Oh so many even some of their own countrymen amd women:tiphat:

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I have to disagree here, The Philippines have for many many years 00s even practiced Community Singing which really, was a precursor to karaoke :smile:

As above they are practicing their culture BUT of course now they have technology to annoy Oh so many even some of their own countrymen amd women:tiphat:

They take it to a whole new level though, historically they say Gospel singing came about from Scottish immigrants, mainly indentured servants living amongst African slaves in the New World, it was common for the Scottish women to sing together whilst working and the Africans soon joined in. They also got together to pray and sing hymns. 

Fast forward to the Philippines down the hill from me a church opened up and they've placed half a dozen 5ft speakers outside with some priest screeching at the top of his/her voice.  Fortunately I'm far enough away from it but if I lived near it I have the feeling god would have worked in mysterious ways and those speakers may stop working. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg We all have our opinions 

P_X
Posted
Posted

I can sleep through anything once I adjust.  

10 years ago when I first moved here...right behind my apartment was a cock fighting place. They had like a whole hectare of those little a frame rooster cover things

Sounded like a million roosters or some crap. After a month or so, I didn't even notice em. But that adjustment phase was brutal. 

When I first moved into this apartment here in ibabao, my neighbors 2 dogs barking and howling all night drove me bonkers..now I don't notice. 

There's these Muslim groups all around tho. They sound like goats or something and they use microphones. They seem to have a routine.  That took some adjustment too lemme tell ya

I can't complain about the karaoke or the kids etc. This ain't my country so it's up to me to adapt.  If it bothered me, I wouldn't be as fond of the Philippines as I am. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
Just now, Kingpin said:

That's what gated subdivisions are for.

How on earth could a gated subdivision stop thumping base for anything up to a mile away when it's fiesta time?  Gated subdivision or fisherman's shack everybody still has to put up with the same intrusive crap noise.

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

How on earth could a gated subdivision stop thumping base for anything up to a mile away

Unless your house is near a perimeter wall, with beats directly on the other side of it, you may hear sounds but it won't be very loud. More likely you won't hear it at all, at least in the larger villages within the city.

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 4/29/2023 at 1:57 AM, JJReyes said:

Is it that gated subdivisions do not allow karaoke or is it the private security guards will respond to complaints.

It's one and the same...the HOA will have a noise regulation I.e. no loud music after 10pm and the guards are expected to police this. In my community I don't recall them ever having to stop a karaoke. A couple of us were having a beer in the sari sari area and it was after 10pm and they passed by and kindly asked us to go inside - very reasonable request and I'm on board with such stuff.

In my wife's place in the countryside there isn't an issue that I've seen/heard except annual fiesta but that's a given.