G Cash Scams

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This first one is from a reliable guy I know on the Angeles City expat FB group..

Everyone beware the latest GCash scams…..you transfer money from your bank account to GCash using your bank app…..

The money takes DAYS to get to GCash.

You file a “ticket”….and then miraculously you get a Messenger message from someone telling you they are from GCash and can help you.

That person then asks for your “secret code” as that is the only way they can track down your missing money…and you GIVE it to them….and then your account is wiped out.

Happened to my wife…luckily only P1500.

Scam capital of the planet…..

This second one is from another member of the same group and I tend to believe it.  Paraphrasing him.

He woke up in the morning and found that p88,000 had been taken from his G-Cash.  His phone was with him and there was no way that someone had accessed his phone or account.  Thus, he thinks it was an inside job at G-cash.  He reported the theft and go a police report but police said "nothing we can do".  G-cash has been no help.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

My partner uses Gcash and never had a problem. Maybe it's people who open links from every message sent to their phone are the ones who find themselves with issues. But then there are those who give codes or passwords to others without checking anything.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My partner uses Gcash and never had a problem. Maybe it's people who open links from every message sent to their phone are the ones who find themselves with issues. But then there are those who give codes or passwords to others without checking anything.

We use it too but I told my wife and stepdaughter not to leave much money in there.  You are probably right that victims may have been phished and may not want to admit it.

• Hmm thinking 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

We use it too but I told my wife and stepdaughter not to leave much money in there.  You are probably right that victims may have been phished and may not want to admit it.

There could be many reasons. Often older people are confused although l don't know the age of these two examples. Possibilities; have they got an official app or what they think is an official app?  

The comment about scam capital I think is wrong, scams are everywhere. Many people in Australia and other places fall for the Hey mum text message scam where they get a text message that could be their son or daughter saying their phone is broken, using a new number and cant access cash. Mum send me money, please. Of course, most don't want to see their kids with a problem so want to help out so they send them money.

Then maybe recently somehow they are sending messages from a real source so hard to tell if it's really a bank message or not. Millions are lost every year but Im one of the lucky ones, have no money to lose :smile:

• Haha 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Agree with you Don. Having a modest amount held is probably for the best. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

They haven't admitted anything but seems fishy.

https://www.rappler.com/business/gcash-unauthorized-deductions-multiple-accounts/

Sorry, can't paste the text right now.

MANILA, Philippines – GCash has finished adjusting the e-wallets of users affected by unauthorized transactions on their accounts that reduced their balance.

“We wish to reiterate that our customers did not lose their funds on GCash. The app is now up for service, so you can safely proceed with your regular transactions,” GCash said in an official statement late afternoon of Tuesday, May 9.

“Our proactive cybersecurity policies are in place to protect our customers as the safety and security of your account is our top priority,” it added.

GCash had conducted a “preventive maintenance” earlier on Tuesday, May 9, to investigate the complaints of multiple customers regarding the deductions to their balances.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
I pasted the text
  • Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

GCash had conducted a “preventive maintenance” earlier on Tuesday, May 9, to investigate the complaints of multiple customers regarding the deductions to their balances.

Explains why it was down for several hours yesterday morning. I tried to pay my water bill and wasn’t able to log on. Kept getting an error msg   About 2 hours later was in a Robinsons grocery store and ppl there who were trying to pay with GCash were not able to. Lots of unhappy customers. I wonder how many didn’t have cash and had to leave their full grocery carts. 

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

They haven't admitted anything but seems fishy

I think their response "an adjustment will be made" and "I can’t disclose full details since it’s still ongoing, and we have bank partners that we need to coordinate with for the full investigation." pretty much tells the story.

Money FUNDS WERE LOST but GCASH put funds back in to cover the loss.   Someone was able to get into the system and transfer funds into at least two different outside bank accounts.  Call it hacked or not, their system was compromised.  I wasn't born yesterday and this isn't my first rodeo. :whistling: 

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Mike J said:

I think their response "an adjustment will be made" and "I can’t disclose full details since it’s still ongoing, and we have bank partners that we need to coordinate with for the full investigation." pretty much tells the story.

Its already been reported that it was a hacking attempt. Happens everywhere.