G Cash Scams

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

As a matter of interest not completely related to the topic but regarding scams, this was in yesterday's Australian news. The image is for Australia only.

scams.PNG

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Its already been reported that it was a hacking attempt. Happens everywhere.

Agreed, but most companies will admit the hack, instead of stating that "no hacking occured".   Can you trust a company that was hacked and then lied about it?

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2023 at 11:11 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

My partner uses Gcash and never had a problem. Maybe it's people who open links from every message sent to their phone are the ones who find themselves with issues. But then there are those who give codes or passwords to others without checking anything.

Not all are so lucky, we transferred P2k to G Cash and it never appeared, gave up after many texts and no response. A friend similar experience for P1500, now we keep just a few hundred there for loads.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 5/10/2023 at 5:24 AM, Gator said:

Explains why it was down for several hours yesterday morning. I tried to pay my water bill and wasn’t able to log on. Kept getting an error msg   About 2 hours later was in a Robinsons grocery store and ppl there who were trying to pay with GCash were not able to. Lots of unhappy customers. I wonder how many didn’t have cash and had to leave their full grocery carts. 

That's why I always make sure I have cash as well just in case electronic means aren't working - assuming the ATMs are working of course! :Mad:

• Like 4

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted

A friend recently(4 weeks ago)was relieved of 20k in his GCash Account here in Angeles City. He said he was absolutely positive no one got to his phone or he’d been scammed saying he is extremely security minded. He contacted GCash & explained what had happened but they gave no reason or help.

He keeps 2k in it now for emergencies but me, I’d never use it. It’s a great concept & people have spoken highly about in the past but I prefer to just use my Metrobank Debit Card. If going out & drinking is involved, I use my “play” wallet with cash only.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 5/13/2023 at 9:46 AM, Sailor Jerry said:

A friend recently(4 weeks ago)was relieved of 20k in his GCash Account here in Angeles City. He said he was absolutely positive no one got to his phone or he’d been scammed saying he is extremely security minded. He contacted GCash & explained what had happened but they gave no reason or help.

He keeps 2k in it now for emergencies but me, I’d never use it. It’s a great concept & people have spoken highly about in the past but I prefer to just use my Metrobank Debit Card. If going out & drinking is involved, I use my “play” wallet with cash only.

People can be tricked and relieved anywhere. This is BPI Bank this morning caught by my anti-virus software. Could be a false positive but never happened before but what if someone has no protection, they would end up on a phishing site. I bet many have no protection on their phones. Avast and others offer antivirus mobile versions.

Just to add, the BPI online has no SSL certificate so the threat is probably correct. Their main site is fine until you try to log in and there l can see its not a secure site.. 

abort.PNG

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 5/13/2023 at 9:46 AM, Sailor Jerry said:

Fully understand, as previously posted we were relieved of P2k same way. Problem is G Cash have no physical office I am aware of and they rarely if respond on their help line. We limit it to a small amount  now and try only use it for minor transactions.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, RBM said:

Problem is G Cash have no physical office I am aware of

Gcash is owned by Globe and Ayala. The company is Globe Fintech Innovations Inc. (Mynt), and they have two offices in Manila. I do not know if their call center or help desk work from there or other locations.

8F W Global Center, 9th Avenue corner 30th Street, Bonifacio Global City

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Just to add, the BPI online has no SSL certificate so the threat is probably correct. Their main site is fine until you try to log in and there l can see its not a secure site.. 

This is a big worry for me because I used BPI online a lot, so I checked.  My login site appears to be secure.

I researched the URL: Phishing and apparently false positives are common if using Avast free version.  If you are using a free one, uninstall, then download a new one to see what happens.

You are right on the mobiles.  I need to check that.  In fact, I need to look into protection for my whole family, computers and phones.  Any ideas on the best for a family plan?  I will pay for it.

Screenshot (993).png

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

This is a big worry for me because I used BPI online a lot, so I checked.  My login site appears to be secure.

I researched the URL: Phishing and apparently false positives are common if using Avast free version.  If you are using a free one, uninstall, then download a new one to see what happens.

You are right on the mobiles.  I need to check that.  In fact, I need to look into protection for my whole family, computers and phones.  Any ideas on the best for a family plan?  I will pay for it.

Screenshot (993).png

On the weekend I kept on getting security alerts from my anti virus software when I was trying to log onto BPI online while using Safari, so I switched to Chrome, no problems.

• Like 1