MOALBOAL - anyone anyone?

samatm
Posted
Posted

Hey there  I've been associated with this Forum for a good many years but not active.   Anyway  I've been in CEBu City for  14 years ane and am ready to get out of Dodge.     I really like the scene in Moalboal  and am considering moving the Wife and I and little one (4yo)  down there .     I love the diving,  snorkeling  and white sand beach  but am wondering if it is livable ?    I really need good  stable internet,  good schooling for my little guy,  a place that has some land for the wife to gardening  (her hobby)  etc.      How are medical facilities if any?   HOw hard is it to get commute back and forth to CEbu for shopping etc..     Anyway  would love to hear any pros and cons of Moalboal living.     Also  I was looking for rental homes online and didn't see any..     How do you find a place to live ...just go down there in live in a resort a while ?      

Thanks,

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, samatm said:

Hey there  I've been associated with this Forum for a good many years but not active.   Anyway  I've been in CEBu City for  14 years ane and am ready to get out of Dodge.     I really like the scene in Moalboal  and am considering moving the Wife and I and little one (4yo)  down there .     I love the diving,  snorkeling  and white sand beach  but am wondering if it is livable ?    I really need good  stable internet,  good schooling for my little guy,  a place that has some land for the wife to gardening  (her hobby)  etc.      How are medical facilities if any?   HOw hard is it to get commute back and forth to CEbu for shopping etc..     Anyway  would love to hear any pros and cons of Moalboal living.     Also  I was looking for rental homes online and didn't see any..     How do you find a place to live ...just go down there in live in a resort a while ?      

Thanks,

I'd say, why not have a trip to Moalboal and find out for first hand experience. There's a member on here from Moalboal he will no doubt tell you all about the place.

• Like 2

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Medical - If you have a heart attack in Moalboal, you will die in Moalboal.  Nearest "real" hospital is Carcar, about 2 hours away.

Twice my life was saved, only because I arrived at a good hospital within 30 minutes.

So for any who consider to live 1-2 hours from a real hospital, please take your age into serious consideration.

Previously very good health means nothing, when something suddenly happen ..... and it does, one day. Often years before you would normally expect any medical emergency.

• Like 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Nearest "real" hospital is Carcar, about 2 hours away.  Same with dentist

You also said, notably, that after the typhoon you had to drive 2 hours away just to reach a working ATM, and waited months for electricity to return.

Have you heard about this?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Wife's best friend lives in Alcantara which is right there. Lack of medical and lack of anything resembling a quality school would make it a no go for me. That, in a nutshell, is why I left. The cities are, for me, unlivable and the provinces are lacking these basic things. If you're single though it's a whole different thing.

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, CebuAndy said:

Twice my life was saved, only because I arrived at a good hospital within 30 minutes.

So for any who consider to live 1-2 hours from a real hospital, please take your age into serious consideration.

Previously very good health means nothing, when something suddenly happen ..... and it does, one day. Often years before you would normally expect any medical emergency.

I'm not disagreeing but even living close to a good hospital may not help if your medical emergency happens to come during rush hour.  That said, at least having a good facility nearby increases your chances.

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

The super typhoon was the worst in recorded history for Cebu and affected most of the island so not really a factor in deciding where to live.

Natural disasters are always factors, especially when one area recovers in days, and another in months.

My biggest problem with the province though is noise, how do you address that? You could buy a cheap lot in the quiet middle of nowhere, but then the basic necessities like water and electric are issues, not to mention internet. Or you could be where everyone else lives, and one neighbor raises roosters, another has a brand new videoke system, and if they take a break there are just enough barking stray dogs. 

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

I have lived here in Moalboal since October 2003.  Keep in mind the answers below are somewhat biased as my wife and family are from Moalboal so I have a sort of built-in support system in case of need.

Internet - much better in the past few years.  I have a smart system, up to 80 megs per second, with a globe backup, about 15 megs per second.

Schooling - local (free schools) are not very good in my opinion.  Even the local private schools leave much to be desired.

Land - still quite a bit available and not too expensive if you are away from the shoreline.

Medical - If you have a heart attack in Moalboal, you will die in Moalboal.  Nearest "real" hospital is Carcar, about 2 hours away.  Same with dentist, I use Green Apple in Cebu City for twice yearly cleaning and any issues.  There are several local doctors who are good for the everyday health issues, but a MAJOR EMERGENCY issue will be difficult to address.

Commute to Cebu City - Takes about three hours, we usually stay overnight.

Rentals - No shortage, but you need to be here and look around (boots on the ground).  There are several affordable "pension houses" that would be good for a stay while looking around.

Pro - Depending on where you live life is laid back and slow paced.  No stress.  Two shopping centers, not large, but adequate for most needs.  Easy access to the ocean for snorkel and/or scuba and reasonably priced,  Quite a few restaurants and resto bars in Panagsama (a part of Moalboal next to the sea).  A few in down town Moalboal but not so much (it is much more quiet here than Panagsama.   Clean air and a nice breeze in most places in/around Moalboal.  Rent is much more reasonable than Cebu City.  Moalboal is a small town and if you live here you will "become known".  This will either be a positive or a negative depending on your attitude and how you interact with the locals.  For me it has been a great experience as I love the Philippine people.

Negative - No major medical care.  Local schools are not the best (my opinion).   You will need to go to Cebu City for immigration issues, reporting, etc.

Why I live here - I am a "small town boy" and do like the "big city".  I hate traffic gridlock, littler, pollution, and never really getting to know your neighbors.  We are fortunate to live on the ocean, great view, clean air. wonderful neighbors, etc.  AND the wife's family live here which can either be good, bad, or a combination of good/bad.  We do do not have children that need an education, if we did I am not sure I would want to live here.  As mentioned above major medical care is a long ways away and that is not likely to change in the near future and I am willing to accept that risk for the benefits of living here.

My advice - If you are still interested, visit Moalboal and spend a couple weeks looking around.  Check out rental rates/places, visit the schools, check out the stores, compare Moalboal to Panagsama and then decide if it is right for you.  Some will love it, some will say "nice but no thanks".  

That is a superb report!  Thank you so much.       I'm sure you have seen massive changes since you have been there 20 years..    What I like about the place is  that with the growth of tourism you have a decent and varying dining options  not found in other parts of provincial cebu.   That and   I love the coral reef there and the water sports which was one of the reasons we settled in Cebu and not Manila (however we hardly ever get to the beach as its a day trip at least).  I like the small town vibe  but I really appreciate that now there are some supermarkets and 7/11  and GAisano etc.  

Thanks for your report on Internet that sounds very doable and even surpasses my spotty  PLDT Fiber connection here in Cebu City that is hit or miss.    I guess that level of service would be dependent on location in around Moalboal. 

I guess what's really slowing us down is our little guy 4yo if it would be the right move for him as he needs some special ed as he slow talking .

• Like 1