MOALBOAL - anyone anyone?

samatm
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, MikeB said:

Is there speech/language therapy where you currently live? I was told that as soon as they get certification they leave the country to make a survivable wage. OT, yes but not speech. They are greatly in demand in the middle east, HK, Singapore, etc. in great part because they pay them so much less. Unless things have drastically changed in the years since I left. I don't know where you're from, your country of birth says Ethiopia, and I hesitate to say this but if you have a special needs child and an option to return to a 1st world country you might want to consider that.

I was born in Ethiopia  but was raised in TExas which some claim to be 1st world.  :)   Yes we are considering that.  There is a school here in Cebu City  that is right for him. 

• Like 2

samatm
Posted
Posted
On 5/17/2023 at 4:19 PM, Mike J said:

I have lived here in Moalboal since October 2013.  Keep in mind the answers below are somewhat biased as my wife and family are from Moalboal so I have a sort of built-in support system in case of need.

Thanks for sharing.. wondering if you have any good recommendations for great places to stay and dine while visiting  Moalboal.       How is the expat community there?   What do you like to do for recreation or past time.     

Also:  are  motorcycle ride share like  Angkas / Maxim available,       Grab Taxi/ Grab food  ?  Foodpanda ?

Do you ever buy fish at the local wet market ?      I once many years ago when we were staying there  I  Bought  several kilos of the fattest thickest Squid I had ever seen.  OUr family still talks about it.   We but on the grill immediately and had the best seafood dinner.

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted
On 5/21/2023 at 6:45 AM, Mike J said:

Quite a few good places to eat in Moalboal and Panagsama.   These are our top three if we have visitors but there are many others.  Many places to stay and quality of lodging depends a lot on price.  I don't really have any good recommendations for hotels as we live here and have no need of hotels.  

Trattoria - fantastic Italian

Le cafe Francais - Awesome food, especially french items.  Owner is a French Chef and a real "people person"

Herbs Guest House - Has his own herb garden.  Food is great and will customize the dish if you happen to be vegetarian.  Best pad thai I have ever eaten.

Expat community - Quite a few expats who live in and around Moalboal.   Some are retired but a large percentage (married to Philippine citizens) own a business or work here.

Recreation - My wife and I have a small ministry working mostly with middle school, high school, and college youth.  I am a voracious reader and also enjoy woodworking.  Many people here enjoy snorkeling and scuba but I am not a great swimmer so I stay close to shore or in the pool.  

Motorcycle share ride etc. - There are no "official" ride share but you will find many habal habal cycles willing and ready to offer rides.  There are also a lot of bicycle and motorcycle with sidecars.   The Moalboal/Panagsama area is relatively small and everything you want to see and/or do is within about 10 kilometer or less so taxi and multicab are still rare for the local area.  The last time I checked Panda was not available here and I expect Grab is also not yet available.  There are also motor scooters for rent, daily or weekly.

Wet market - The wife buys a lot of fish from the wet markets but now prefers the fish from the wet market in Badian (about 10-12 km south).  We also buy fish and squid from our neighbor who is a local fisherman.  Very fresh as it comes in right off the boat and his wife comes to our gate at 6:00 am with night's catch.   I cut the squid into rings, soak in milk for several hours, then deep fry after coating in panko.  Serve with homemade tartar sauce or my own honey/mustard sauce.  Good eats!

Wow that sounds awesome.  thanks so much for the feedback.  See thats what i mean great food that hard find even in the City.     WE stayed at small guest house right on the water that was run by Italian Chap and his wife  and the  Food and treatment was super special!    I wish i could remember the name of the place off the top of my head.    His lasagne ...oh mama mia !       

• Like 1