MOALBOAL - anyone anyone?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, samatm said:

I guess what's really slowing us down is our little guy 4yo if it would be the right move for him as he needs some special ed as he slow talking

Lack of a good system of education seems to be why some expats decide to actually leave the country.  The other alternative is private schools but the best can be expensive.

• Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

living close to a good hospital may not help if your medical emergency happens to come during rush hour.  

Nonsense reply.

It improves the odds to get medical help in time, to survive.

Now it comes down to 'splitting hair', with your reply.

Irritated 

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, samatm said:

I guess what's really slowing us down is our little guy 4yo if it would be the right move for him as he needs some special ed as he slow talking .

You can always hire tutors and I would guess in the province they would be less costly than in the city. 

Albeit it’s for senior high, but next semester we will sending the niece to the St. Peter Academy in Alegria. The academy is supposedly one of the better schools in the area and they offer certified STEM classes (Niece is a gifted student and from there wants to go into the medical / med sciences field). 

• Like 2

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted

Not really sure I’m qualified to post here but just my 2 cents. My girl & I went to Moalboal last year on our (never ending tour of looking for places to settle around Phils) and we both interacted well & loved the people & the place. I suppose of course, most folks on holidays everything is wonderful, well most places anyways.

We set out with a different outlook in our search traveling the region, but from the getgo I’ve gotta say the journey from Cebu by road wasn’t great & I thought at the time, if I had to drive that 10 or more times a year that would suck so just noted it & put it to the back of my (open) mind. Shopping & Medical (even without a big hospital) seemed limited but do-able for us. We checked internet speeds, atm’s, Govt agencies & various other things on our list etc. 

After a week we decided it wasn’t for us, so spent the rest of the time enjoying a holiday. I guess without going into it too much, we couldn’t see enough of the things we want to be able to move there just the two of us. After reading a few good posts on this thread and looking at it after, I guess without having any family support & knowing a soul wherever we end up it will be a challenge but that won’t be a deterrent, so will continue the search. 

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, CebuAndy said:

Nonsense reply.

Irritated 

It's really not nonsense.

Please read my post again, the bit where I clearly stated that living near a facility will increase your chances of survival just as you have said. So, we've said the same thing yet you've taken umbrage.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, CebuAndy said:

Nonsense reply.

Irritated 

Not quite a heart attack but when returning fom Moalboal to Cebu to catch my flight I had the urge to use the CR just as we approached the outskirts of Cebu on the coach.  Not an issue I thought as we were heading to the South Terminal only 30 mins away, 1 1/2hrs later and just 2km further along the road due to the traffic it was serious panic stations. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Not quite a heart attack but when returning fom Moalboal to Cebu to catch my flight I had the urge to use the CR just as we approached the outskirts of Cebu on the coach.  Not an issue I thought as we were heading to the South Terminal only 30 mins away, 1 1/2hrs later and just 2km further along the road due to the traffic it was serious panic stations. 

What you just described is why my wife and I now hire a car and driver when we need to go to Cebu City.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, samatm said:

I guess what's really slowing us down is our little guy 4yo if it would be the right move for him as he needs some special ed as he slow talking .

Is there speech/language therapy where you currently live? I was told that as soon as they get certification they leave the country to make a survivable wage. OT, yes but not speech. They are greatly in demand in the middle east, HK, Singapore, etc. in great part because they pay them so much less. Unless things have drastically changed in the years since I left. I don't know where you're from, your country of birth says Ethiopia, and I hesitate to say this but if you have a special needs child and an option to return to a 1st world country you might want to consider that.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

The gridlocked traffic in Cebu City is so bad sometimes it would take hours to move cross town to hospitals. It's taken us over three hours to get from Talisay to Cebu City's Hospital area.

There are many hospitals around Cebu City but Talisay isn't a remote province, they have one one too:  https://csmc.doh.gov.ph/