Be careful buying online, especially from Lazada

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, jimeve said:

CASH IS KING.

Kings don't meet and greet drivers outside for every damn delivery just to hand over cash.

Credit cards solve that problem.

Former Cabinet Secretary Rigoberto Tiglao is calling for a boycott of Lazada for allowing fake products to be sold on its platform.

The Manila Times columnist railed at the e-commerce platform after being scammed twice in a month. He said he purchased a smart vacuum cleaner that’s supposedly from Xiaomi but was sold at one-fourth of the retail price.
Instead of receiving an original product, Tiglao said he was sent a dupe that broke down after 20 minutes. He said he was also shipped a face mask in lieu of a Sharp air purifier he purchased for over P4,000.

Tiglao was incensed when he was told by Lazada to return the products.

“I was scammed and I would have to spend money for a courier service to deliver a fake item to the scammer, which he probably would sell again at Lazada?,” he said. “Other than the huge bother and expense for this, why would I deliver to them a product that could be used as evidence in a suit, or a complaint at a government agency?”

“What gets my goat is that I complained to Lazada about these two scammers over a week ago, yet they haven’t lifted a finger to close these merchants down. Manila_MALL is still selling over 54 products in Lazada. including that “Xiaomi Robotic Cleaner,” and several other products claimed to be made by Xiaomi, even nose-hair clippers sold at half its price at that company’s official site,” he added.

Tiglao said he hasn’t had much luck with Shopee either, having been scammed as well two years ago.

“Lesson: Resist the lure of astonishingly low prices sold at Lazada. Don’t buy anything altogether from Lazada,” he wrote.

“Such negligence borders on criminal neglect. Many poor people buy online in order to save on expenses commuting to a regular mall. It’s so sad that their hard-earned money may have been lost due to scammers in Lazada and Shopee. What’s the trade and industry department doing to save Filipinos from scammers in these two foreign stores?,” he added.

https://bilyonaryo.com/2023/05/26/criminal-neglect-lazada-boycott-sought-over-scammers-fake-products/business/#gsc.tab=0

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Kings don't meet and greet drivers outside for every damn delivery just to hand over cash.

Credit cards solve that problem.

I was talking about cash is king. Not a person.

I don't have a credit card.

• Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I stopped using my card on lazada because it seems to delay shipping. My wife and her relatives have had so many issues because they don’t do their due diligence. Check photos, reviews, dimensions of the product, price too cheap etc.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Heeb said:

I stopped using my card on lazada because it seems to delay shipping. My wife and her relatives have had so many issues because they don’t do their due diligence. Check photos, reviews, dimensions of the product, price too cheap etc.  

People are their own worst enemy when it comes to online shopping - lack of due diligence as you mention.  Read through some reviews if you are bored and it can be entertaining reading the nonsense they write - If I was a seller I'd have to bite my teeth at some of the comments. Worse still is the current trend of posting videos and photos which are totally unrelated to the product, totally cringeworthy.

• Like 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Heeb said:

My wife and her relatives have had so many issues because they don’t do their due diligence. Check photos, reviews, dimensions of the product, price too cheap etc.  

1. Search product

2. Filter in only 4 or 5 star ratings

3. Sort by Top Sales

Only issues I've ever had was wrong quantity, seller resolved, and wrong color, which can be avoided by reminding the seller in a message after ordering.

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 5/26/2023 at 1:17 AM, RBM said:

We have a policy of COD only. Expecting a new Samsung 5G fone next week, I shall check the 5 G before paying, if no charge the delivery man must wait until some charge is completed.

I also only use COD, but I thought you had to pay before you were allowed to open the package?

Have you done this before? I mean, did the delivery guy allow you to open and test the product before he received the money?

Curious to find out about this!

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

I also only use COD, but I thought you had to pay before you were allowed to open the package?

Have you done this before? I mean, did the delivery guy allow you to open and test the product before he received the money?

Curious to find out about this!

I tried it once and found exactly as you suggest.  The delivery man would not let the package out of his hands without money being handed over first.  He seemed prepared to drive away with the package so I paid him without examining.  Perhaps each delivery person is different?

• Like 4

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

My Pinay would always test the product when delivered, since they do that at the stores, before you pay for it. They are well aware of the defective products we get here in the PI, at times, as see this as no different that buying at the store.

Our delivery men always wait patiently, and seem to expect it.

Anyway, that's been our experience in Capiz prov.  

My Pinay likes to sew, and we went through several popular, low cost sewing machines, for which there were many youtube videos on repairing and troubleshooting them. They'd last several months, but the cost was low and usage substantial. Finally, we upgraded and they lasted much longer. The low cost popular ones are in large use, and many repairmen can deal with them.

This was true in this instance, but since my Pinay prefers to buy local, when available, we seldom take risks on unknown products. Always read the reviews and compare sellers carefully, when we do order, and are willing to not always seek out the cheapest seller, but go with track records.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The delivery man would not let the package out of his hands without money being handed over first.

Exactly why paying cash is the worst option, not just because you don't have credit card protection, but you have to be ready and waiting whenever the driver arrives at your door.

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kingpin said:

but you have to be ready and waiting whenever the driver arrives at your door.

As the delivery guy has usually called ahead to get directions to your home, having cash ready shouldn't be that much of a burden.

Edited by Lee
spelling
  • Like 1