Be careful buying online, especially from Lazada

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Viking said:

I also only use COD, but I thought you had to pay before you were allowed to open the package?

Have you done this before? I mean, did the delivery guy allow you to open and test the product before he received the money?

Curious to find out about this!

Yes he had no option, if not I would not of paid. He was most unhappy and spoke some choice words to my partner in dialect. Even after checking and giving him his tip there was zero acknowledgement. 

• Thanks 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Heeb said:

I stopped using my card on lazada because it seems to delay shipping. My wife and her relatives have had so many issues because they don’t do their due diligence. Check photos, reviews, dimensions of the product, price too cheap etc.  

I do not do the ordering or understand it. My partner does it all, said we only deal with an approved member of shoppe what ever that means, still its always COD

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Exactly why paying cash is the worst option, not just because you don't have credit card protection, but you have to be ready and waiting whenever the driver arrives at your door.

Not so, they always call a few hours before delivery, if the time convenient OK if not she just asks them reschedule. Not all here have a credit card or many like myself have how ever reluctant to use it here.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Viking said:

I also only use COD, but I thought you had to pay before you were allowed to open the package?

Have you done this before? I mean, did the delivery guy allow you to open and test the product before he received the money?

Curious to find out about this!

13 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I tried it once and found exactly as you suggest.  The delivery man would not let the package out of his hands without money being handed over first.  He seemed prepared to drive away with the package so I paid him without examining.  Perhaps each delivery person is different?

I don't recall what Lazada policy is but Shopee are very clear and explicit on this - they clearly state that no package shall be opened until payment is made. That's the policy but obviously individual drivers will be flexible.

I can understand why - I imagine many folk will not only want to check for damage and that it's the correct product but also quality and to see it works as they think it should. The delivery times will double, triple or more. I recall one poster said they would have the delivery guy wait until their new phone charged - If I were the driver I'd not be willing to wait. I don't ask the Grab guy to wait until I take a bite of my pizza! Both companies have a return policy and that's how buyers should deal with it rather than make a no doubt poorly paid and overworked subcontractor wait.

I may be swimming against the tide here.

ETA - This may vary from store to store but certainly in SM and Robinson electrical I bought tv's recently and of course they unboxed and tested but AFTER payment was made. Last Sunday I bought my son a gaming headset in Izone SM - I asked to test first and he said unopened products cannot be opened until payment was made (in reality he took my cash but didn't ring it up until I was satisfied). Now,  we can get into debate about how each of us would or wouldn't respond in such situations but that's not the point I'm making - many physical  stores have a pay first policy so it's not unique to Lazada and Shopee. 

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

they always call a few hours before delivery

Even worse, now you have to take calls every time you get a parcel, and then make appointments. There are other options besides credit cards to avoid all this hassle, Shopee Pay for example.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Lee said:

As the delivery guy has usually called ahead to get directions to your home, having cash ready shouldn't be that much of a burden.

Accepting calls, making appointments, meet and greet, cash transfer, making change, each is more burdensome than the next.

I get a text when the package is delivered, and that's it. I'll get it when I'm ready to get it.

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I don't recall what Lazada policy is but Shopee are very clear and explicit on this - they clearly state that no package shall be opened until payment is made. That's the policy but obviously individual drivers will be flexible.

I can understand why - I imagine many folk will not only want to check for damage and that it's the correct product but also quality and to see it works as they think it should. The delivery times will double, triple or more. I recall one poster said they would have the delivery guy wait until their new phone charged - If I were the driver I'd not be willing to wait. I don't ask the Grab guy to wait until I take a bite of my pizza! Both companies have a return policy and that's how buyers should deal with it rather than make a no doubt poorly paid and overworked subcontractor wait.

I may be swimming against the tide here.

ETA - This may vary from store to store but certainly in SM and Robinson electrical I bought tv's recently and of course they unboxed and tested but AFTER payment was made. Last Sunday I bought my son a gaming headset in Izone SM - I asked to test first and he said unopened products cannot be opened until payment was made (in reality he took my cash but didn't ring it up until I was satisfied). Now,  we can get into debate about how each of us would or wouldn't respond in such situations but that's not the point I'm making - many physical  stores have a pay first policy so it's not unique to Lazada and Shopee. 

I think I read that in Lazada policy as well, that they also demand that the product is payed, before opening the package. That's why I was curious if someone was successful in this.

But as you say, it's up to the delivery guy if they will accept it or not.

• Like 1

Cola Cubes
Posted
Posted

Take the package, say "wait a minute", close the door, open package.   If incorrect, return to driver.  I`ve had no repurcussions yet from Shopee for doing this.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Viking said:

I think I read that in Lazada policy as well, that they also demand that the product is payed, before opening the package. That's why I was curious if someone was successful in this.

But as you say, it's up to the delivery guy if they will accept it or not.

Very much depends on the individual driver I'd guess.

Today I bought a kettle from SM - they tested 1st before I paid but as I said above other times it's buy before you try.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Accepting calls, making appointments, meet and greet, cash transfer, making change, each is more burdensome than the next.

I get a text when the package is delivered, and that's it. I'll get it when I'm ready to get it.

Heh-heh......That's why the wife does it all..... since she's the one who orders the occasional item.  Once in a great while, she'll see something on  Waste-book and come to me, suggesting  we buy it. After I point out out to her the flaws or why it is either needless or a completely useless object in terms of stated purpose, she relents. If she is still hot on the trail, she agrees to try to find it locally where she can inspect before buying. I never make it easy for her to acquire things on initial impulse, preferring a thoughtful time period to lapse before spending on anything not bought locally. She is very good at shopping around several places for price here in our city, before purchasing.

I am proud of her in one respect.... while considering the purchase of a small refrigerator for use in Estancia, Iloilo on the NE corner of Panay island,   where she spends time with her quasi-adopted support family, I said that I would check out prices on Lazada and Shopee. She misunderstood, and it took me several texts back and forth to convince her that I was only looking at how things were priced, not to purchase. She was adamant that we buy at a local appliance store there or in our own city, where she could inspect the item, get a guarantee and future servicing.

Older Filipinas usually know through the coconut telegraph, of many people who have had bad experiences in many areas of life, including on-line purchases, and if intelligent, become quite savy. That said, some never learn, and like to impulse buy when the money is coming out of hubby's pocket. IMO   

• Like 2