Hip Replacement and Hip Pain

RBM
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

My hip issues are the result of too many high impacts playing rugby for navy/defence back in the day - I was a scrum-half for those that know the game so always on the ball and got smacked around a lot.  It's called post-traumatic arthritis and to begin with was just a little limiting in the range of movement and causes pain if I go too far outside that range.  As the years passed osteoarthritis has developed which can cause prolonged pain and swelling - a deep extremely strong ache when stationary to sharp jabs on movement - those that have osteoarthritis in any joint know the feeling.  It's not all the time but when it happens I tend to favour that side which causes issues with my back (incident in AFG caused the back injury) which in turn causes me to put too much weight too often on the opposite side leg causing the dodgy knee on that side (again rugby - reconstructed laparoscopically in my early 30's, both knees) to ache and cause pain.  

I can't say much about the cost of treatement as being service related and documented as so, it's all paid for under the Department of Veteran Affairs (Aussie version of the US VA).  

The  pain is minimal most of the time and deep tissue massage helps or if it gets too bad Celebrex 200mg for a couple of days does the trick.  Yeah I know, anti-inflammatories aren't ideal but it is what it is and I only use them in cases of near immobility. 

The frustrating thing is the umbilical hernia that appeared about 18 months ago.  Because of that I'm not allowed to put any pressure on my core at all.  This means no lifting, situps, even chin ups etc for fear of turning the hernia into an emergency situation.  When my core is strong, it supports my back and hip better so there's rarely any pain at all.  the hernia is a post-service injury so not covered by DVA.  When the hernia issue is resolved, I'll be good until the joints finally need replacing.  How did it happen?  Lifting too much stuff getting ready to move to PI.  Great timing eh?  

I had a debridement on the hip about 10 years ago which was good for about 5 years and it was at this point that I was informed the hip should eventually be replaced due to the onset of the osteoarthritis.  That and the knee replacements at around the same time will go a long way to solving the back issue.  I'm not having back surgery; the appropriate surgery may or may not resolve that issue and I'm not willing to take the risk.  

As I said in the other thread, it's a minor mobility issue most of the time so no real effect on my quality of life but when it does blow out it's hobbling around indoors for a couple of days.  

Brett have you tried Voltaren Gel, have a mate in Bogo whom suffers similar issues and he swears by this product.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, RBM said:

Brett have you tried Voltaren Gel, have a mate in Bogo whom suffers similar issues and he swears by this product.

Not in a few years, I'd forgotten about it to be honest so thanks for that.  I'll go get some. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Not in a few years, I'd forgotten about it to be honest so thanks for that.  I'll go get some. 

Where do I find this?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Mike J said:

She has been giving massage for over 20 years.

That is a lot of happy endings!  :hystery:

I swear she could push her thumb through a steel drum. 

Hope she did not try that on your "buns of steel"!  :hystery:

As far as a physical reaction.  That has not happened with me but I think if it happened my masseuse would not be offended and would just ignore it. 

6 hours ago, Viking said:

I love getting a massage and do it often. If you get a legit massage the therapist know how to handle the situation and you have nothing to worry about.

If it is at home, or even at a business, my wife will staring and looking for a reaction!  :hystery:  Woman or man, young or old, cute or ugly, I will be in big trouble! 

Oh crap!  I'm doomed!

https://www.rootsofbeing.com/erection-during-massage/

Unintentional Erection During a Massage Is Normal

Experts claim that touching a body part during a therapeutic massage can activate the Parasympathetic Nervous System. This can cause the man to experience a full or partial erection. It can even lead to unintentional ejaculation!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/28/2023 at 9:34 AM, Mike J said:

Our masseuse is female and I think she is either 63 or 64 years old.  She has been giving massage for over 20 years.  Despite her age she has amazingly strong hands and I swear she could push her thumb through a steel drum.  So what I would be looking for is experience and then verify with a massage.  Our masseuse was fairly easy with me starting out.  I think she wanted to verify range of motion, muscle tone, pain points, etc.  Over a period of months she gradually increased the stretching of joints to increase flexibility.  As she works the joints she maintains a hand on the joint (shoulder, knee, hip, etc.) and I think she is feeling for any roughness, popping, and so forth.  I have degenerative disk disease in my lower back, L4 and L5, a total of five surgeries.  When I first lay on the table I almost have lower back pain but it is tolerable.  By the time she is done I am completely pain free.  

All kidding aside, Mike, it sounds like you found a great one, and that is the hard part.  Well, hopefully not hard!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

My hip issues are the result of too many high impacts playing rugby for navy/defence back in the day

What you describe seems similar to the pains I have in my left hip, and sometime it goes down to the knee.  I was a long distance runner from age 14 until age 45, so I suspect that pounding did a lot of damage.  Despite the running, I tended to be heavier than ideal during the later running years, so that was extra stress.  I was around 105 kg +-5 kgs from the age of 35-45, when I should have been 90 or so.  I switched to cycling at 45 and even riding 100+ miles a week I stayed the same.  After my hip problem started, that is when my weight got up to 140.  Now I am close to 100 with 90ish as the goal.

What is debridgement?

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Where do I find this?

It's over the counter in most pharmacies I think.  Barring that it's definitely on Shopee and Lazada. To get more than the 1% of the active ingredient you may need a prescription, but then again, you don't for 200mg Celebrex which floored me when I found out given its common side effects.  

24 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

What you describe seems similar to the pains I have in my left hip, and sometime it goes down to the knee.  I was a long distance runner from age 14 until age 45, so I suspect that pounding did a lot of damage.  Despite the running, I tended to be heavier than ideal during the later running years, so that was extra stress.  I was around 105 kg +-5 kgs from the age of 35-45, when I should have been 90 or so.  I switched to cycling at 45 and even riding 100+ miles a week I stayed the same.  After my hip problem started, that is when my weight got up to 140.  Now I am close to 100 with 90ish as the goal.

What is debridgement?

Debridement is when they basically clean and scrape out the joint to remove any of the damaged bone, tissue etc that may be causing the issue.   It's a general term used to describe a cleaning out of any part of the body by a surgeon. 

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Is there a cure for a painful shoulder? It's been like this for over a month. I don't want to see a Dr if I can help it.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

but then again, you don't for 200mg Celebrex which floored me when I found out given its common side effects.  

The first ortho I saw here gave me a prescription for Arcoxia.  It was never approved in the U.S., for heart reasons, but is available other places.  The ortho told me not to worry, and the reason it is better than other NSAIDs is that it is less harsh on the stomach and internal organs, which is the problem with NSAIDs.  No prescription required if you want to try.  They have 30/60/120 mg and I take 120.  I get labs done every 3-6 months and most recently, a week ago.  Kidney and liver functions seem good.

On the other hand, I might give Celebrex a try just to see if it makes a difference on the really bad days.

Debridement is when they basically clean and scrape out the joint to remove any of the damaged bone, tissue etc that may be causing the issue.   It's a general term used to describe a cleaning out of any part of the body by a surgeon. 

I wonder if they do that here?  Anecdotally, it seems the surgeons here are eager to give you the whole new hip right away!

• Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Is there a cure for a painful shoulder? It's been like this for over a month. I don't want to see a Dr if I can help it.

In my exploring, I have seen info on "frozen shoulder" and it seems to be common.  Check You Tube for possible help.

• Thanks 1