Hip Replacement and Hip Pain

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

A good friend just had his hips done in Australia and one friend had his done in England. The Australian guy said it's the best thing he has had and it will outlast him with the technology these days, three months of rehabilitation though but when he returned to the Philippines he played a round of golf and is walking fine with zero pain, it was life changing for him. 

The lad in England I haven't seen yet but he was in and out in a day and told to take it easy but he's getting around on crutches with no pain. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

A good friend just had his hips done in Australia and one friend had his done in England. The Australian guy said it's the best thing he has had and it will outlast him with the technology these days, three months of rehabilitation though but when he returned to the Philippines he played a round of golf and is walking fine with zero pain, it was life changing for him. 

The lad in England I haven't seen yet but he was in and out in a day and told to take it easy but he's getting around on crutches with no pain. 

I have neve heard of somebody unhappy with hip replacement. so that is reassuring.

When I was asking around a few years ago, I did not find PH doctors who do the newer technique that is less invasive and the recovery is quicker.  I will have to look into that again.

A old guy I know in Baguio had it done there and is very happy with it, but his surgeon retired.

I have a few friends in the U.S. who have had it and they said the docs want you on your feet immediately, with therapist, of course.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

In my exploring, I have seen info on "frozen shoulder" and it seems to be common.  Check You Tube for possible help.

L suffered from "frozen shoulder," a few years ago. She was prescribed to visit a physiotherapist in Davao City at San Pedro Hospital. She went through a series of exercises that slowly, Bu successfully relieved the malady. It took over a month, but was totally successful - heat, vibration from one of those machines that do muscle vibes, then progressive exercise to relieve the issue. It worked great, but it was not an instant relief plan. I think it was three visits per week. The therapist really pushed her to the edge of her pain, but she did solve it. The heat therapy, light massage and electronic vibration all did the trick!

And aside here:

A friend of mine required knee replacemen several years ago. He was refereed to go to Taiwan. They were ready to cut him the day he arrived! Well, they did perform the surgery within a day and he was walking (limping a bit) within just a few days. According to him, the costs were reasonable (cash only) and the results were remarkable.....

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I realized I had a similar topic 4 years ago which some of you might be interested in.

Several things mentioned:

Boron:  I have been taking it for over 6 months but I don't think it has helped the hip.  However, I just got my testosterone tested and it is sky high!  Thus, my massage options may be limited.

Celebrex:  Seems I did try it but not for long.  I must have been the next doc I saw who gave me the Arcoxia.

glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate:  I tried for a while.  Still have an unused bottle.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I’ve had bad hip problems for several years, sometimes to the point where I can’t hardly walk even with a cane. Exercise is the key for me, I was on intermittent fasting where I didn’t eat from 6pm until 10am and that helped a lot, problem is I got too skinny and light headed sometimes.

As I said exercise is how I control it, when I stop it comes back within about a week.  Strengthening the Gluteus medius muscles especially. Sitting on hard surfaces is a killer. I pretty much gave up on NSAIDS, my last colonoscopy the Dr. commented on the damage they were causing and my wife is a colon cancer survivor. A couple times a week I will take Paracetamol/Tramadol but it’s more for my restless legs but it also knocks out any hip pain. Problem is Tramadol is a synthetic opiate and is very addictive. Supposed to have a prescription for it but they sell it to me anyway.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Heeb said:

Exercise is the key for me, I was on intermittent fasting where I didn’t eat from 6pm until 10am and that helped a lot, problem is I got too skinny and light headed sometimes.

Yes, I told my wife yesterday that my last chance before going for surgery is a lot more consistent exercise and physical therapy.  I limp walked 1.3 miles yesterday and today we are going swimming.  My hip usually feels good during and after swimming, but sometimes the next day is not too good.  Ironically, the first time I started having pain, 2018 I think, was from "swimming".  We did a day tour at Anvaya Cove and their large pool only has stairs at one end.  We were at the other end, 4-5 feet, and I decided to get out by lifting my left leg up on the pool edge and hoisting myself up.  Ouch!  Intense pain and that seems to be when it all started.

• Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, I told my wife yesterday that my last chance before going for surgery is a lot more consistent exercise and physical therapy.  I limp walked 1.3 miles yesterday and today we are going swimming.  My hip usually feels good during and after swimming, but sometimes the next day is not too good.  Ironically, the first time I started having pain, 2018 I think, was from "swimming".  We did a day tour at Anvaya Cove and their large pool only has stairs at one end.  We were at the other end, 4-5 feet, and I decided to get out by lifting my left leg up on the pool edge and hoisting myself up.  Ouch!  Intense pain and that seems to be when it all started.

Yes, certain exercises can cause more problems, I quit swimming because it caused knee problems. Also I don’t bike long distances because the seat is an issue, I pedal hard for short distances. Low impact is best, I do a leg routine from an old Gilad “bodies in motion” video where you use a light dumbbell and do leg lifts while standing and holding the weight on your thigh. I actually met Gilad Janklowicz in Hawaii when I was still in the Navy, he invited me to his gym but I kinda got a gay vibe from him (not that there’s anything wring with that) 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

19 hours ago, Heeb said:

Yes, certain exercises can cause more problems, I quit swimming because it caused knee problems. Also I don’t bike long distances because the seat is an issue, I pedal hard for short distances. Low impact is best, I do a leg routine from an old Gilad “bodies in motion” video where you use a light dumbbell and do leg lifts while standing and holding the weight on your thigh. I actually met Gilad Janklowicz in Hawaii when I was still in the Navy, he invited me to his gym but I kinda got a gay vibe from him (not that there’s anything wring with that) 

It's funny isn't it; swimming is about the only cardio that doesn't cause pain in either my knees or hips. 

What's even funnier is that I remember taking the mickey out of my parents not too many years ago for the amount they talked amongst their friends about medical issues :whistling:.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

It's funny isn't it; swimming is about the only cardio that doesn't cause pain in either my knees or hips. 

What's even funnier is that I remember taking the mickey out of my parents not too many years ago for the amount they talked amongst their friends about medical issues :whistling:.  

Normally swimming is touted as the easiest on the joints but not always true, I guess.

We are at a "resort" and they have a lame, boring, big pool about 3 feet deep.  So I walked around it for 20 minutes.  It does add a lot of resistance.  Last night both my legs and knees were bothering me!  Part of it was cramping, probably due to not drinking electrolytes yesterday.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I must have mum's Gene's, she was a red head too and also prone to skin cancer and painful knees. she use to rub whiskey on the knees, I told her that's a waste of good whiskey and should drink it rather than rub it on your knees. I said it won't help with the painful knee's but you'll feel a lot better.

:dance::9436:

• Haha 3