Hip Replacement and Hip Pain

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Normally swimming is touted as the easiest on the joints but not always true, I guess.

We are at a "resort" and they have a lame, boring, big pool about 3 feet deep.  So I walked around it for 20 minutes.  It does add a lot of resistance.  Last night both my legs and knees were bothering me!  Part of it was cramping, probably due to not drinking electrolytes yesterday.

It's the high impact on my knees that does the worst damage to me.  Prior to the hernia I was doing weights regularly; squats, deadlifts and many others with no issues.  I had to be a little careful with the dodgy hip as it's the lateral movement (sideways) that causes pain so flipping my leg over a bench could hurt so I'd sit, then pivot my entire body.  Cardio at the gym was on an elliptical machine, no impact with that at all.  

Swimming I used to go hard freestyle for 25m, then 25m of breast stroke, rinse, repeat; interval training.  With the current hip issue, breast stroke, at the least the "frog" kick, is too painful so now I sort of slow run in the water in between the freestyle legs.  Yes, we've marked out 25m on the beach here.  

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, jimeve said:

I told her that's a waste of good whiskey and should drink it rather than rub it on your knees. I said it won't help with the painful knee's but you'll feel a lot better.

I fully endorse this method of pain relief!

• Like 5