Shorter waiting time for US visa application eyed

baronapart
Posted
Posted

I commented on that thread. If he marries he is in for a bumpy ride.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mountainside said:

I've followed the same thread on that forum, and held my tongue (really, I did).  Very nice and well-intentioned guy who appears to be blessed with utterly no instincts or street smarts.  I wish him well, but have no advice for him that wouldn't be perceived as hurtful.  

Same here.  Just following the soap opera at this point.  Nice guy and he lets it all hang out.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

There is a TV show called "90 Day Fiance" on Cignal.  It is very enlightening and the female is often a Filipina so interesting for us living here.  I'm kinda sad to report that they often display the sort of characteristics and behaviours that are not a good reflection of the country.  The male partner tends to be the stereotypical guy as well. 

Watched one or two over the years.  It has been on many years now so it must be a success.  There is a long old thread on the visa forum, dedicated to it.  not so much about visas, but the entertainment and soap opera value.  Like most reality TV, I'm sure they pick the most flamboyant couples to be on it, like our old friends here!

Full episode:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Watched one or two over the years.  It has been on many years now so it must be a success.  There is a long old thread on the visa forum, dedicated to it.  not so much about visas, but the entertainment and soap opera value.  Like most reality TV, I'm sure they pick the most flamboyant couples to be on it, like our old friends here!

Full episode:

The above couple must have been before I started watching.  

I have to admit I do enjoy watching it and there is now a UK version as well.  Maybe it's just my natural bias having lived here or maybe it's a deliberate choice of the producers but they definitely seem to portray the Filipina ladies in a negative light and the American guys as the victims.  I don't see quite the same when the ladies are from South America or even Eastern Europe.   

Lee
Posted
Posted

Just a question.

If the Filipina doesn't marry the American within 90 days, what mechanism is in place that ensures that she goes home?

I seem to recall that their are 4M Filipinos that have overstayed their visas by years/decades in CA alone  who never will leave. What inducement would the Filipina in this case have to ever leave? A large cash deposit perhaps---IDK.

• Hmm thinking 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

American guys as the victims.

I have probably only seen the worst of them, but they sure get some loser guys.  No Neck Ed?

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Slightly confused.  Why should an unmarried U.S. citizen who wants to bring their fiance to the U.S., have priority over a married U.S. citizen who wants to bring their spouse to the U.S.?   The married couple, generally speaking, has an established and more stable relationship.

If you follow a few threads you will realise some couples have known each other for years before getting engaged and some not so street wise step off the plane and get married to their partner within a few weeks of meeting them. I think the Governments are trying to protect the marry in haste crowd and also being realistic about how many guys are being scammed for long term gain.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

If you follow a few threads you will realise some couples have known each other for years before getting engaged and some not so street wise step off the plane and get married to their partner within a few weeks of meeting them. I think the Governments are trying to protect the marry in haste crowd and also being realistic about how many guys are being scammed for long term gain.

Follow a few threads where?

For U.S. Immigration, married couples (CR1 / IR1 visa) or engaged couples (fiance visa) where one of the partners (usually female) is from the Philippines face a lot of scrutiny from U.S. Immigration.  Some of the factors scrutinized are common to both groups and other factors are unique to the group.  In any case, I don't see why one group would be favored over the other, under normal circumstances.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

For U.S. Immigration, married couples (CR1 / IR1 visa) or engaged couples (fiance visa) where one of the partners (usually female) is from the Philippines face a lot of scrutiny from U.S. Immigration. 

In line at the embassy on the day of our final interview there were a number of women being petitioned for visas who looked like they had just walked out of a Fields Ave bar. I would say they were being "scrutinized". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

In any case, I don't see why one group would be favored over the other, under normal circumstances.

I agree with this... when I said I thought fiancé visas should have priority... I should have caveated that I meant.... Those fiancé visas' that have minimal complications should be addressed more swiftly.  I'll agree that (selfishly)... in 1980... we were both very young... had no children... no previous marriage... no debt and I worked...  from my experience those were "not normal circumstances".... my recollection was many had a lot more complications. But hey, whatever the rules are ... those are the rules everyone has to go by. 

3 hours ago, MikeB said:

In line at the embassy on the day of our final interview there were a number of women being petitioned for visas who looked like they had just walked out of a Fields Ave bar. I would say they were being "scrutinized".

Wonder what you would think the Americans looked like if they were there as well :7481:

• Like 1