Shorter waiting time for US visa application eyed

Lee
Posted
Posted

Expect a shorter waiting period in making an appointment for United States visa application as the US Embassy in the Philippines expects to process 325,000 US visas this year.

According to JP Soriano's report on "24 Oras," due to the pandemic, Filipinos had to wait up to two years to get a visa appointment, but the embassy targets to shorten the waiting period by four to five months.

"It is now about four to five months. We are hoping have it within two to three months by the end of the year," US Embassy in the Philippines Consul General Mark McGovern said.

He said that the application for a fiancé visa since last year was also record-breaking.

"We're issuing record numbers of these, I believe last year was almost 4,900 fiancé visas that we have issued and close to 22 thousand of the immigrant visas that we have issued last year," he said.

However, the process for the petition for a spouse, child, or parent who is a US citizen is quite longer.

"The backlog we have now is some on the longer term form in the unification visas. Expect probably within the next six to nine months," McGovern said.

He added that if an applicant is only applying for a tourist visa for a vacation that doesn't exceed six months, one does not need too many documents like numerous bank accounts or letters of endorsements from a politician.

The Embassy official said it is important for the applicant to be able to prove that he would return to the Philippines after the vacation.

"Number one, always tell the truth. Number two, don't use a lot of these maybe agencies that are being scammers don't believe that there is a checklist cause none of those stuff exist. Number three, rely on the official information that we have available in all of our websites," McGovern said.

He clarified that it is not true that women applicants are most likely to be denied.

Th Embassy also announced that beginning June 17, US visa application will cost P1,000 higher than its current rate. —Sherylin

Shorter waiting time for US visa application eyed (msn.com)

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

The shortest way to get into the US is to go to Mexico and walk across with the millions of others.  Sad but true!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Moderator Hat On:

Two posts deleted because @mountainside mentioned they did not fit forum guidelines.  Mountainside post deleted as members are not permitted to play moderator.  Please report any concerns to @Jollygoodfellow  Thank you for your co-operation.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Lee said:

"It is now about four to five months. We are hoping have it within two to three months by the end of the year," US Embassy in the Philippines Consul General Mark McGovern said.

He said that the application for a fiancé visa since last year was also record-breaking.

"We're issuing record numbers of these, I believe last year was almost 4,900 fiancé visas that we have issued and close to 22 thousand of the immigrant visas that we have issued last year," he said.

However, the process for the petition for a spouse, child, or parent who is a US citizen is quite longer.

"The backlog we have now is some on the longer term form in the unification visas. Expect probably within the next six to nine months," McGovern said.

For those not familiar, the Manila Embassy part of the visa process is basically the interview and final approval.

This guy is not saying what the root cause is and I think he does not want to.  Something is very wrong at the embassy.  I have been following topics related to this on a visa forum for a few years.  They basically turned off the fiance visas during the pandemic but were processing some CR1/IR1 for interviews.  Then after things opened up, it appeared that they got caught up on CR1/IR1.  In January this year, they were scheduling interviews 2 weeks after getting DQd (data qualifed) at NVC and even offering expedited interview to those waiting a long time.  Then everything just stopped.  People who got DQd after January are still waiting for the interview to be scheduled.  Something ain't right with this picture.  Some think they have prioritized fiance visas.

• Hmm thinking 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Some think they have prioritized fiance visas.

That's what the article appears to be saying (I think) but it's so badly written I couldn't make head nor tails. 

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Some think they have prioritized fiance visas

Just my view... but I think they should be prioritized... if an American citizen is willing to accept responsibility, they should be allowed to have their chosen spouse go through the visa process as quickly as possible. Don't need some bureaucrat deciding what I want to do with my life.  

Obviously, we are waaaaaay past the stage... but in 1980 we were getting the run around... after 4 months I went to the Embassy myself and it got approved the same day.  

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

Don't need some bureaucrat deciding what I want to do with my life.  

Logic and common sense says your right. But as soon as the requirements are relaxed or simplified, we both know that there will be fake marriages and engagements galore. Laws and regulations are not there for honest folks. 

groan.jpg

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

Just my view... but I think they should be prioritized... if an American citizen is willing to accept responsibility, they should be allowed to have their chosen spouse go through the visa process as quickly as possible. Don't need some bureaucrat deciding what I want to do with my life.

Slightly confused.  Why should an unmarried U.S. citizen who wants to bring their fiance to the U.S., have priority over a married U.S. citizen who wants to bring their spouse to the U.S.?   The married couple, generally speaking, has an established and more stable relationship.

I'm following a very interesting and entertaining fiance visa story on the visa forum.  Some of the issues we due to covid.  They have met 3 times over the past 3 years and on one trip he brought his 3 kids to meet their future step-mom.  He is 50.  She is 34 and has 2 kids of her own.  The older boy will stay with his father and they plan for the younger to come after they are married.

After many challenges, she was able to fly to Texas 2 weeks ago.  They have 90 days to marry.  The last 2 weeks has been complete turmoil in the family.  She is mentally unstable and the guy said it is because she has been mentally and physically abused by her former partner and her family.  The guy accepts that and says he thinks God meant them to be together.

However, she is not stepping in to the stepmom role.  She is jealous of the kids and vice versa.  She has threatened to leave, in front of the kids.  She pulls tampo and disappears into the bedroom for hours /days.  Lots of other stuff too.

The experienced members of the visa forum, including some very smart Filipinas, have told him not to marry.  He feels obligated.  They are scheduled to marry in two weeks.  Other say to get family counseling ASAP.  Overall, a very bad situation for everyone involved.

The guy is very smart and well spoken.  I have chatted with him about other things during their journey.  However, it looks like he made a huge mistake in choosing this woman to be his wife and stepmom to his kids.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Slightly confused.  Why should an unmarried U.S. citizen who wants to bring their fiance to the U.S., have priority over a married U.S. citizen who wants to bring their spouse to the U.S.?   The married couple, generally speaking, has an established and more stable relationship.

I'm following a very interesting and entertaining fiance visa story on the visa forum.  Some of the issues we due to covid.  They have met 3 times over the past 3 years and on one trip he brought his 3 kids to meet their future step-mom.  He is 50.  She is 34 and has 2 kids of her own.  The older boy will stay with his father and they plan for the younger to come after they are married.

After many challenges, she was able to fly to Texas 2 weeks ago.  They have 90 days to marry.  The last 2 weeks has been complete turmoil in the family.  She is mentally unstable and the guy said it is because she has been mentally and physically abused by her former partner and her family.  The guy accepts that and says he thinks God meant them to be together.

However, she is not stepping in to the stepmom role.  She is jealous of the kids and vice versa.  She has threatened to leave, in front of the kids.  She pulls tampo and disappears into the bedroom for hours /days.  Lots of other stuff too.

The experienced members of the visa forum, including some very smart Filipinas, have told him not to marry.  He feels obligated.  They are scheduled to marry in two weeks.  Other say to get family counseling ASAP.  Overall, a very bad situation for everyone involved.

The guy is very smart and well spoken.  I have chatted with him about other things during their journey.  However, it looks like he made a huge mistake in choosing this woman to be his wife and stepmom to his kids.

There is a TV show called "90 Day Fiance" on Cignal.  It is very enlightening and the female is often a Filipina so interesting for us living here.  I'm kinda sad to report that they often display the sort of characteristics and behaviours that are not a good reflection of the country.  The male partner tends to be the stereotypical guy as well. 

• Like 3

mountainside
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm following a very interesting and entertaining fiance visa story on the visa forum.

3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

it looks like he made a huge mistake in choosing this woman to be his wife and stepmom to his kids.

I've followed the same thread on that forum, and held my tongue (really, I did).  Very nice and well-intentioned guy who appears to be blessed with utterly no instincts or street smarts.  I wish him well, but have no advice for him that wouldn't be perceived as hurtful.  

One of the things I like most about this forum is the presence of foreigners like me who, despite rocks in the road, have chosen well and are in long-term loving relationships with their Filipinas.

• Like 2