Forced incarceration’: American archivist responds to Las Piñas hospital amid passport issue

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

As to the passport thing, most sane people would just report the passport as lost and get a new one.

What!!! And pass up on a perfect opportunity to play the victim? :Caught: Your idea just makes too much sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I suspect not.  If I get a bill in Canada that I disagree with, I tell them:  "Sue me because I am not paying".  I do not incur the cost of suing them here in Canada and I would not do it in the Philippines either, but that's me.

Interesting, that is definitely not the case in Australia. 

There, if you choose not to pay an account, then the biller can get a judgement in court (and if you're not represented it will be uncontested and you won't get legal aid for civil suits). 

After the judgment in court letters of demand will be sent out, failure to pay those (which will by then include legal costs and fees) will generally lead to it being passed on to the 'Sherrifs department' who can (and definitely do) seize property and assets (which will be sold) in order to pay the debt. 

That will also be linked to listing on a register of 'bad debts' most times (which stays there for 5 years or so depending upon the local jurisdiction) and they can apply for bankruptcy if you fail to pay after a certain time.

There is a list of assets which are protected from that but it's not... 'extensive'.

The Philippines is of course different, and I'd definitely have handled things differently, but ignoring it and hoping it'll all go away doesn't seem to have worked for him :mocking:

• Like 4

Joey G
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Interesting, that is definitely not the case in Australia. 

Nor in the USA... if you don't pay... it often goes to a bill collector who will hound you for years... FICO credit score goes down... loans (if possible) have higher rates.  

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

if you choose not to pay an account, then the biller can get a judgement in court (and if you're not represented it will be uncontested and you won't get legal aid for civil suits). 

Same in Canada.  THEY sue YOU and you go to court and get your say.  Or you let them get an uncontested judgement which is the definition of stupid as all you have to do is show up and the judge will probably side with you.

EDIT:  Most people don't know how it works.  Before I was a Hounddriver I was a loan collector so I saw it first hand.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

mountainside
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

As to the passport thing, most sane people would just report the passport as lost and get a new one.

Maybe it's my own insanity, but I'd be hesitant to falsely claim my passport lost or stolen at the risk of spending up to ten years in federal prison. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, mountainside said:

Maybe it's my own insanity, but I'd be hesitant to falsely claim my passport lost or stolen at the risk of spending up to ten years in federal prison. 

I'd tend to agree with you but I suppose he could play the "effectively stolen"  card as his passport is being held against his wishes which I assume is arguably illegal regardless of his willingness to hand it over as this would have been under duress.  

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

Though there is not enough information available to truly know how this guy got in this predicament the holding of the passport as ransom is just wrong on any level. They effectively made him an over stayer by doing so. It always amazed me Philippine hospitals could hold someone prisoner and rack up more charges prior to the more recent law. Even the medical collection agencies in the US have to go thru some legal hoops before they can start collection actions and they certainly don't demand to hold even your drivers license in the meantime.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The amount in contention is not large.  In the United States, you have charitable organizations with advocates who can represent you in conversations with a hospital about huge reductions and even debt forgiveness.  In the Philippines, indigent patients can request assistance from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office since the proceed from the lottery can be used for this purpose.  As a foreigner, this path is not available.  I would therefore suggest something similar to a "Go Fund Me" if the US Embassy is unable to help.  

Many American living overseas don't know that there is an advocate with a high rank in US Embassies who can provide assistance.  They will contact your relatives and friends to raise the money to get you home.  Failing that, the US government will pay for your ticket and other expenses, but you have to sign a promissory note.  And your passport is confiscated until the debt is paid.

• Thanks 1

mountainside
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, hk blues said:
12 hours ago, mountainside said:

I'd tend to agree with you but I suppose he could play the "effectively stolen"  card as his passport is being held against his wishes which I assume is arguably illegal regardless of his willingness to hand it over as this would have been under duress. 

Sad story, and I hope never to be hospitalized without the means to pay.  But as to the narrow issue of passport theft, I (personally) think that theft and attempted theft requires an intent to permanently deprive the rightful owner of the property.  Thus no passport theft here, since the hospital seeks to permanently deprive Mr. Tewell of the amount they say he owes, not his passport.  Thus under the circumstances reported, I couldn't in good faith report the passport as stolen.  I might well raise Cain, though.

As to the general subject of passports being held hostage, I've searched from time to time for instances in which embassies have pursued criminal charges against those (creditors, hotels, hospitals and cruise lines) whom their citizens claim have wrongly held their government-owned passports.  I haven't found one.

• Like 2