Forced incarceration’: American archivist responds to Las Piñas hospital amid passport issue

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, mountainside said:

Maybe it's my own insanity, but I'd be hesitant to falsely claim my passport lost or stolen at the risk of spending up to ten years in federal prison. 

The report form says "describe in detail how you lost it".  Say:  I left it at the hospital desk when I went in for surgery and now they will not return it.  The USA passport office may be different, but in Canada they understand how the world works.
image.png

mountainside
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The USA passport office may be different, but in Canada they understand how the world works.

It may be well be true that Canada understands how the world works better than the US does.  But for Yanks, the only available options in the reporting form are lost or stolen.  https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds64.pdf  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

all because he disputes a PORTION of his incurred medical billing.

How much was the original bill and how much has paid?  What I had read made it sound like he skipped out on the bill.  As far as the passport, the hospital say they offered to release it and no one has yet shown up to pick it up.   The whole story is, as others has said, it confusing and hard to sort out. :89:  About the only thing really clear is that he has overstayed and subject to deportation and potentially blacklisted.

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Mike J said:

How much was the original bill and how much has paid?  What I had read made it sound like he skipped out on the bill.  As far as the passport, the hospital say they offered to release it and no one has yet shown up to pick it up.   The whole story is, as others has said, it confusing and hard to sort out. :89:  About the only thing really clear is that he has overstayed and subject to deportation and potentially blacklisted.

That was my initial impression when I wrote my first post. Right after, PI Wannabe, I believe , stated that it was the operational portion he was contesting.  I never pursued the details to verify. Still not sure, but I gave him possible credence.

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, mountainside said:

I've tried to sort it out

Very clear now.  Thanks.  Seems like the guy is just our basic attention seeker.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Very clear now.  Thanks.  Seems like the guy is just our basic attention seeker.

And playing "the victim".  My opinion of course.

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted

Well, well another nuts foreigner. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Greglm said:

Well, well another nuts foreigner. Thanks for the info.

We sure do get more than put fair share of them here - maybe it's the nature of the beast in places like this and a high proportion of older ex-pats? 

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, hk blues said:

We sure do get more than put fair share of them here - maybe it's the nature of the beast in places like this and a high proportion of older ex-pats? 

It's possible that untreated dementia is higher amongst older expats than would be the case in of our home countries where medical support is generally more readily available.

• Like 4